Author Topic: The last of his generation  (Read 2648 times)

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
The last of his generation
« on: Sunday 15 October 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
I heard yesterday that my only surviving uncle had died aged 90.  He was my dad's brother and the last of his generation in my family trees.  A lovely man and will be greatly missed by his surviving son and his grandchildren.  RIP uncle.
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The last of his generation
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
End of an era ....... bless him.

RIP

My Mum was the last of her generation.

WhiskyMac

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Sad when you realise that has happened isn't it, my mother died 9 years ago and she was the last of her generation on my maternal side and then 2 days later my uncle died, the last on my paternal side.

Even worse when you then realise that you are part of the oldest generation in the family!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Sad when you realise that has happened isn't it, my mother died 9 years ago and she was the last of her generation on my maternal side and then 2 days later my uncle died, the last on my paternal side.

Even worse when you then realise that you are part of the oldest generation in the family!

Not only part of the oldest generation in the family but also the eldest !!
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
My mother was the youngest of 7 children and my father was also the youngest of 7 children and both were the last of their generation.
I am the youngest of four children and I am the only surviving member of my generation.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
It's worse when you realise that after 500+ traceable years of your original surname, there's no-one left of your line that bears it, and that you're the last that did .... so it's gone, as far as your line existed. and there isn't anyone in the next generation at all. Extinction.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
That will happen in my family once my brother and my cousin go! My grandfather was the only boy out of 5 children, so the only one to carry on the name. He had 4 boys and a girls. However of those 4 boys, one didn't marry, one had a son who then had two daughters ( name died out there) the other two had a son and two daughters, but in both cases the son didn't marry so the name will die out there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 October 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
I'm technically speaking the last of my line of the family - my brother was adopted and in any case died a few years ago.  Both my children are adopted, so although legally the name goes on with my son (currently childless), the bloodline will die out with me. Sad thought for one interested in genealogy!  It will, however, continue with my cousins' children, I'm glad to say.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 October 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Our bloodline does seem to die out with the few left of my generation, no-one in the next, of the direct line.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)