Author Topic: Richard Jacob of Gillingham  (Read 814 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Richard Jacob of Gillingham
« on: Sunday 15 October 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Afternoon

As part of my ongoing search for my Jacob ancestors, I am trying to trace the lives of Richard Jacob of Southwark and his wife Mary Burr.

Richard was baptised in 1782 at Southwark. His parents were Richard and Elizabeth, whom I believe originated in the Westwell/Charing area. Richard senior appears to have been a grocer who moved around eventually ending up in Gillingham. According to the Kent Archaelogoical Society website he has/had a gravestone, the details of which can be viewed at http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/MIs/GIL/06.htm entry 606.

Richard junior appears to have married Mary Burr at St Margaret's Rochester, both listed as single. They had one known son, Richard Thomas, whom was baptised in 1806 at Gillingham.

After 1806 I have been unable to trace the whereabouts of Richard and Mary or find any evidence of other children. Their son Richard Thomas though appears to have raised a family in Gillingham, with both him and his eldest son Robert being listed as Grocers/Bakers.

There is a slight possibility though that Richard junior (1782) is actually my ancestor, Richard Jacob of Charing whom I have been trying to trace the origins of for over a decade. See post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761361.0

There are a number of reasons for this conclusion:
  • My Richard frequently changes his age, given as 1791 (1841), 1774 (1851), and 1769 (1853). So having a potential date of 1782 isn’t a too far out.
  • My Richard lists himself as being from London, of which Southwark is now part of.
  • The banns for my Richard and his wife Sarah wedding have the bride's name as Mary (slip of the tongue by Richard?)
  • Richard and Sarah's eldest child was named Mary (named in honour if Mary had died?)
  • The writing for Richard's signature on both marriage records is similar (see attached)

I am being very cautious with this theory as the pieces do not fit completely. Even if evidence does come to light that they are not the same man, they are still likely to be distant cousins.

If there is anyone who could help in tracing Richard and Mary whereabouts after 1806 I would be grateful.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jacob of Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 17 16:42 BST (UK) »

My Richard frequently changes his age, given as 1791 (1841), 1774 (1851), and 1769 (1853). So having a potential date of 1782 isn’t a too far out.

Don't forget that adult ages on the 1841 census were generally rounded down to a multiple of 5 years.
So if Richard's stated age, in 1841, was 50 then he would have been between 50 and 54.
That means a year of birth between 1787 and 1791.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jacob of Gillingham
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts...

Is there a connection to the Richard JACOB mentioned on the previous MI?
late wife’s nephew Richard ( ? ) Jacob of Samuel Street, Commercial Road, Middlesex

With children named Isaac & Abraham and a surname of JACOB I can't help wondering if there is Jewish connection  ???
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk