Author Topic: PALMER/SLADE Amersham  (Read 1230 times)

Offline june54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PALMER/SLADE Amersham
« on: Monday 16 October 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with this please.
Looking for baptism records for children of Rebecca Palmer b Amersham 1844
Henry Abel Slade Palmer b 1863
Charles Owen Slade Palmer b 1864
Edwin Ephraim Slade Palmer b 1867
Albert George S Palmer b 1869
Isabel Harriet S Palmer b 1871
Minnie Kathrine S Palmer b 1976
I believe they were all baptized in Amersham (possibly non-conformist).
Rebecca was born Palmer but her mother was widowed and later remarried Abel Slade.
Not sure if Rebecca married a Slade or gave the name as a nod to her step father.
She later married (aged 41) a Daniel Bates of Stokenchurch but the registration gives her name as Palmer and not Slade.
Hopefully any baptism records will at least confirm whether she was married or single.
Thank you.
Prentice - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire, Buckinghamshire, Watford, Rickmansworth
Dobson - West Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Gibbs - Bledlow, Buckinghamshire
Plumridge - Cadmore End area, Buckinghamshire
Reynolds/Campbell - London

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PALMER/SLADE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Looking at the birth registrations on the GRO site none of the children have a mother's maiden name. This implies that her surname was Palmer and no father's name was given. To be certain of this order one of the birth certs.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: PALMER/SLADE AMERSHAM
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Long shot but following on from above about ordering a Birth cert you could order the Marriage cert as that should have her listed as single or married (just an idea)  ???

Mar 1885 
Palmer Rebecca &  Bates Daniel  Wycombe    3a   624

Collison & Watts in Headcorn & Hollingborne (Kent UK) & Michigan (USA)
Kavanagh in Wexford (Eire) Michigan & California (USA)
Salisbury, Burls & Vanstone (UK & Gibraltar)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: PALMER/SLADE AMERSHAM
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
No baptisms at St Mary the The Virgin, Amersham, for the children.  According to Bucks FHS transcripts CD for St Mary.

They may have never been baptised, and only registered.  But as you say, could be N.C.

The marriage registration for 1885, for the Bates/Palmer marriage, is possibly a Registry Office/Certificate marriage.  As using the BucksFHS Church finder facility, gives no results for a Church marriage.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline lisamaryann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: PALMER/SLADE Amersham
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 October 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Charles Owen Slade Palmer was my Great Grandfather. I have the birth certificates for Rebecca's children - none have a father listed. Rebecca's father was George. A butcher from Amersham who died from TB. After he died his wife married Abel Slade. Rebecca married Daniel Bates in High Wycombe (Methodist Chapel on White Hart street if I am remembering correctly). They had a son Edward who was killed in WW1. At one stage most of Rebecca's children were running a farm at Lewknor. Not sure how or why!   Forgot to say there is a website for Coleshill History that is very useful - there was a mistake relating to the Palmer/Slade family which should be ok now.