Author Topic: My elusive Arthur Hughes  (Read 1211 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My elusive Arthur Hughes
« on: Monday 16 October 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the above gent for years,he's my gtgtgt grandfather.always believed he was Irish. DNA matches have a Richard Hughes born 1735 Denbighshire and Samuel Griffith Hughes born later and was convict sent to OZ, his father was John. Earlier I have Ellen Hughes married to Robert Roberts, think they were Flintshire. My question is, I did read somewhere that there's an archive of Hughes family trees somewhere.does anyone know where? Sorry ,another question, would the Hughes in this area have been orginally Irish as we have Irish matches too and Arthur's grandson actually showed Iberian DNA. A wee bit more info,just to prove our difficulty in finding him - he fathered 3 sons to a Janet Rae in Dumfrieshire around 1830-1840,never married her but did get the 3 boys baptised in RC which shows he was Catholic. I know, it's not much,but if I could find a link with the DNA Hughes matches to an Arthur. Thanks

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My elusive Arthur Hughes
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
What sort of dates do you have for Arthur?

What do you have as a confirmed paper trail back from you to him? Can you tell us what you have confirmed [both positive & negative] from parish records etc?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, we guess dob circa 1800, all we know is that he signed baptism for sons, and of course, we now have DNA matches for the hughes I named,which makes me think he came from north Wales. Gut feeling tells me that he didn't stay with sons mother, and as boys were born abt 5 yrs apart, I wonder if he fleetingly visited, was he in prison? He was probably married and was the reason he never married the mother of his sons. I have just found mention of Hughes charts in ruthven? Will chase that up, also see an Arthur R Hughes in a chart but not a date, he appears to be the son of an Elizabeth Morris, who's mother was a Hughes and she married a Hughes. Jings, it's complicated and it's such a common name, thanks for replying. Will post a positive outcome - don't hold your breath !

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
as boys were born abt 5 yrs apart,
Lots of common reasons for this, miscarriages, stillbirths, working away etc - so no need to suspect a lurid life without proof!!

I asked before about the paper trail - are you basing all your surmising on DNA results? Not a field I am experienced in.

all we know is that he signed baptism for sons,
What parish records are those? Not sure what you mean by 'signed baptism'....and have you seen the original or a transcription? What relationship are Richard 1752 & Samuel [no date] & Ellen either to each other or to Arthur? Whose father was John?

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON