Author Topic: Samuel Chapman born 1781 Loudoun, searching for information & gravesite location  (Read 1882 times)

Offline afaile

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Chapman born 1781 Loudoun, searching for information & gravesite location
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
I'm waiting for more info from my Brother. Hoping he has names of Samuel Chapman Sr's children, so I can narrow it down to the correct family.  I found papers, someone recorded family history when they talked to my great grandfathers youngest son. He states that Samuel Sr and Samuel Jr were born in Ireland and came over to Scotland and notes the family were from a place called Airdrie near Glasgow. He says his father in the late 1800's visted cousins in Airdrie. Samuel Jr. married Margaret Spittal and moved to the US. He was the only child to do so but doesnt list the siblings names.  So seems like I'm getting more correct info. Since you're being of help to me I have another question,  this on my husbands side. His great grandfather x4 George Faile came to New York from Scotland. So we are looking for info on his father great grandfather x5 George Faile. Hopefully residence/burial info.  He was born 1749 Symington/Lamington Lanarkshire Scotland died 1802. Reading he probably died there because his daughter was heir to his land. Reason I'm searching for grandpa Chapman x3 and  grandpa Faile x5 is to maybe plan a trip to Scotland. Would like to visit where they lived hopefully to find family & burial spots. Please no hurry to respond and thanks again!  George Faile x5 spouse was Jonet Mochrie.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Chapman born 1781 Loudoun, searching for information & gravesite location
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
So it looks like the 1841/1851 Census I posted is the correct ones for Samuel Snr.

As for the Faile Family it may be best to start a new query on the Lanarkshire Board for them.

Although I only have 1 Scottish connection in my Family Tree I envy you in going there!

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
If you have credits on Scotlandspeople it would be worth looking up this from Anc.

1861 Census
1Society Stree,
Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire
Caniech Chapman, 62, Head, Mar, Labourer, born Ireland
Mary Ann Chapman, 52, Wife, Mar, born England
Joseph Chapman, 35, Son, Labourer, born Lountown, Ayrshire***
David Stevenson, 21, Stepson*, Cotton Power Loom Weaver, born Maybole, Ayrshire

I am very sure this is Samuel. As there is no image on Anc I cant check anything.

I know Samuel age is out but my gut tells me its him which means he remarried to a Widow.

Familysearch has this Marriage;
12 June 1853, Barony, Lanark
Samuel CHAPMAN to Mary Ann SMITH

Remarried under her maiden name?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)