Author Topic: John Bailey, b. 1818, Wilson, Leicestershire  (Read 1636 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Bailey, b. 1818, Wilson, Leicestershire
« on: Monday 16 October 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi peeps

Working backwards from Albert Bailey (b. 1840 in Melbourne, Derbys), his father is John Bailey b. 1818 in Wilson.

I have John on the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records; he dies in 1884.  All of them show him living at various addresses in Derby with his wife and +/- children, his dob/pob as 1818-19 in Wilson and his occupation as a shoemaker. 

I found a baptism of a John Bailey on 3 May 1818 at Breedon on the Hill, s/o William Bailey and Margaret of Wilson.  Oh, yippee, I thought and set about trying to find out if William and/or Margaret survived until the 1841 census.  I've found a household in Wilson on the 1841 census consisting of:

William Bailey, 45, Ag Lab
Margaret Bailey, 45
Fanny Bailey, 20
John Bailey, 21, Ag Lab
Mary Bailey, 16
Eliza Bailey, 12
Charles Bailey, 10
Hannah Bailey, 7
Abraham Bailey, 5
Nathan Bailey, 1
Mary Bailey, 2mths

All born in County, and I think the County is Leicestershire, despite being in Melbourne (Derbys) sub-registration district.

And my heart sank a bit.  How can John be in Derby in 1841, married* with children and being a shoemaker, and be in Wilson with his parents all at the same time?  ???  ???  ???

* John married Susannah Peat on 12 Jun 1837 in Melbourne, so that's just a few weeks before civil registration started.  Can't find an image of the marriage on t'internet, so don't know who the witnesses were and whether that might help.

There's a marriage in Breedon in 1815 between a William Bailey OTP and a Margaret Adcock OTP, which could be right, but I'm still stuck with the two John Baileys.  And to add to the confusion, John appears on several Ancestry trees as John Bailey Adcock; and William appears to father 25 children in both Wilson and Leicester at virtually the same time, so there's clearly something wrong with that.  Despite this, numerous people seem to have copied it!    ???

Can anyone help me untangle this, please?

Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bailey, b. 1818, Wilson, Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
When did alberts parents marry?
If after start of registration youve a chance of getting a fathers name from the marriage.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
When did alberts parents marry?
If after start of registration youve a chance of getting a fathers name from the marriage.

Albert's parents married on 12 Jun 1837 - just before civil registration started.   :(

STG

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 01:35 BST (UK) »
The marriage is on Familysearch - search the catalogue for Melbourne and the PRs are available to view so long as you are signed in.  Image 453 of 854 (I think the film No was 1752217 but I can't read my own handwriting !).

John Bailey of Breedon & Susannah Peat OTP, after banns.
Wits:  Thomas Worrall & Frances Peat.

Pity it only adds to the confusion  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Just looking at the 1841 census, Ag Lab is ditto'd down against everyone - even the 2-month old baby! 

Perhaps John was simply enumerated twice because one family completed the form early thinking John would be there on census night, and the other completed it per the instruction, ie noting who was actually there that night.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
It would certainly be very convenient to believe that William and Margaret thought they had to list all their children, even those no longer living at home, which could account for John [apparently] being in two places at the same time.   :)

Makes me concerned though about trying to go further back with William and Margaret in case it's a mis-step.  :(

Thanks
STG

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have anything with John's signature on to compare against the 1837 marriage?

Actually, scrap that - it's not going to help, is it, unless he witnessed a sibling's marriage  :-\

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Not much help with Bailey but Thomas Worrall marries Frances Peat 28th Jul 1837.....page 459 in the register
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Tried looking at the Bailey marriages

There is a Charles Bailey 1861

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M76V-NQZ

Charles Bailey    Head    M    31    Wilson, Leicestershire
Caroline Bailey    Wife    F    31    Chellaston, Derbyshire
Mary Bailey    Daughter    F    1    Chellaston, Derbyshire

Marriage

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NV7X-GZ8

Name    Charles Bailey
Spouse's Name    Caroline Pegg
Event Date    19 Apr 1852
Event Place    Chellaston,Derby,England
witnesses Emma Pegg Thomas Middleton

I did the same with Abraham, got these refernces again Wilson

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kwy/

There is a marriage for Nathan 1861

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NN8D-N9N

on page 542 Film # 004172619 for the Melbourne records, Sarah Ann Peat is a witness
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives