Author Topic: Susan & Margaret Dalrymple from Dumfriesshire??  (Read 2783 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan & Margaret Dalrymple from Dumfriesshire??
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 October 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you to William & Monica for this information and the time you have devoted to my query.
We now know quite a bit about Susan, Margaret and Sarah Dalrymple all three being children of George Dalrymple b 13 May 1798 Cummertrees and Jane Lennox who were married in Closeburn on 29 November 1814.
The remaining puzzle now is how they relate as Cousins to Michael Burns?
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Janet Dalrymple, wife of Thomas Burns, and George Dalrymple must have been siblings, both children of Charles and Sarah (McCall) Dalrymple?

Cannot see a death for George Dalrymple, father of the family we have been discussing. Thinking he might have died pre 1855 (1841-49 - 1849 when we have the possible shipping mannifest to the US).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 October 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thank you I agree Janet and George Dalrymple being siblings is the most likely possibility.
A remoter possibility is that Susan, Margaret and Sarah Dalrymple are 2nd cousins of Michael Burns in which case George Dalrymple's "father" Hugh Dalrymple and Janet Dalrymple's "father" Charles Dalrymple are the siblings.
eg we have close relations in our family who we call cousins but in fact they are 2nd cousins. However, I have not yet been able to prove either possibility.
This quest may prove as intractable as my trying to establish the date and place of death of Janet Dalrymple (sometime between 1856 and 1859 perhaps)
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 October 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
A remoter possibility is that Susan, Margaret and Sarah Dalrymple are 2nd cousins of Michael Burns in which case George Dalrymple's "father" Hugh Dalrymple and Janet Dalrymple's "father" Charles Dalrymple are the siblings.

Hi

I've been following this thread over the last few days but too busy to do much searching. However, I recall seeing the baptism of a Janet Dalrymple (?1789) in Kirkbean, KKD to a Hugh Dalrymple - could this Hugh be the same one who had a son, George?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Like Inspector CLOUSEAU "I am back on the case".

The 1851 census for Clyde Street CARLUKE, shows Janet Burns (Dalrymple) being born in Closeburn, Dumfries.

I see 11 children born to George Dalrymple and Jane/Jean Lennox who married in Closeburn 29 Nov 1814 including two Susans, one of whom must have died young.
Nine of these births took place in Keir, Dumfries between  between 1816 and 1835. The remaining two :
Thomas b 8 July 1838, Chris. 15 July 1838 CARLUKE.
Margaret b 21 Nov 1841 Old Monkland or Coatbridge
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar