Author Topic: PDF printing  (Read 1296 times)

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PDF printing
« on: Monday 16 October 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded a couple of newspaper pages, through FindMyPast, as pdf files. I can print the whole page but this results in miniscule print. I only small items. Is it possible to select the bits of the page to print? I have Windows 7.
Thanks
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PDF printing
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
I make the page go to about 400% and then take a screen shot and paste into paint. You can then add the newspaper title and date if required and 'tidy up' the image with a bit of copy and pasting. I usually save as a jpeg. I have attached an example but am probably infringing copyright somewhere along the way :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
And with a bit more "adjustment"

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Did you do that in paint japeflakes? If so please tell me how :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
Did you do that in paint japeflakes? If so please tell me how :)

You have your File.
Open it in Paint
and Select Resize

Change 100 to 125  or whatever size increase you want....

If you make a mess of it, just Close and don't Save.

Then try again...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark, I know how to make it bigger. It looks like japeflakes has changed the colour balance of the greyish background and made it whiter, although I do like the aesthetics of a sepia toned newspaper clipping! I am no expert and self taught, you can see the 'joins' on my version :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
Just use a Filter... There is a basic one within W10, not via Paint
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
I download the entire page and then use the snipping tool to "cut out" the bit I need. If I have to do several snips, I use PhotoPaint to stitch them together and save the as a single JPG image. Then, I use OneNote and drop the JPG image onto a new page on OneNote, select the image and let OneNote do an image to text conversion to save me time in re-typing the article. OneNote is a really good tool for organising stuff like newspaper articles, and the image to text is really useful, although the success depends a lot on the quality of the original image. The reason for downloading the page is so the article can be seen in context. The text conversion is not always necessary as some sites have it already done, but with variable quality. TROVE (Australia) is good as it lets you submit corrections. PaperPast can be a bit patchy, but, hey, they're free!
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.