Author Topic: Isolating Ancestry Family Trees  (Read 2068 times)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isolating Ancestry Family Trees
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
I have a tree on ancestry it's a work in progress. Yes it has a few errors that I am going back over and correcting. Yes I use parish records etc to confirm what I put up there is as accurate as could be and I add sources to confirm this.
I do look at the other trees just to see if someone has made a break through that I may have missed but on the whole they appear to be a lot dates with no proof especially the further back you go. You can see who copied whose tree when they all have the same information and the only fact is ancestry tree as the proof.
I use them as a tool to check myself that all but usually I click on ignore all to make them go away.
Your own well documented research is the best method to use
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Morning all,
what a hornet's nest this is! Seems we all have different opinions on the trees.
I shall continue to check out these trees because
- I have shared many an interesting photo
- Other people have been able to find info I can't find. I don't just accept it, I go and check it out.
- some people have 'inside information' i.e. if they are researching their close direct line, they often know of missing children, those who fall between the censuses. I have an obsession that I must find those children.
- I could never have known of this mass migration of my family if it wasn't for these trees.
Happy Hunting, and thanks, Avril

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 12:55 BST (UK) »
The best solution is not to look at tree matches! ;D
Why Not :-\

Many of them are so innaccurate, it's just not worth the bother.
Who told you such rubbish  ???

I tend to take notes from apparent decent tree matches, and then go and find real data myself.
Why, when all the info. is there to glean for FREE :-\

My own personal experience is that the majority of trees on Ancestry contain errors!
Most tree owners, IMHO, are simply name-collectors who aren't interested in the truth.

When I started, I blindly copied data from other trees - assuming it to be accurate.
I eventually had to delete many, many people from my trees after I found the mistakes people made.

One tree even had my father married to his own mother! ::)

KG...sorry you took me seriously, :D I was having a bit of fun but what I found re my 3 x g was true on Fancestry although I don't believe it to the point I wouldn't even assume it may be true.

Annie  :-[
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"