Author Topic: How to find Grandad? William Reilly  (Read 241 times)

Offline Christiano Reilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How to find Grandad? William Reilly
« on: Monday 16 October 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have never been able to find my grandads army records, army number, anything

All i know is this;

Born; Liverpool
Toured; India
Lived Liverpool all his life
Got 4 Medals
Born: William Reilly - 07/03/1924

All we know is, he came home once with a rifle. No idea what regiment (100% army) and he toured India.

Any help would be amazing.

He died 2015.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find Grandad? William Reilly
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
You can't find his records because WW2 records are still with the Ministry of Defence but you can, subject to the minimal conditions, apply for his record.  See https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Don't worry that you don't have his number, you have his birth date.  You need his death cert, 30 and are either the next of kin or have their permission (you need only to be able to truthfully tick the appropriate box) and way you go (be patient!).

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.