Author Topic: PURSE James & Family  (Read 3112 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PURSE James & Family
« on: Monday 16 October 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have had some good success tracing this family through in and out going passenger records, electoral rolls, crossing border records but still have a couple of questions I would like assistance with, so hopefully someone can head me in the correct direction.

James Purse born 1876 Cambuslang Scotland - Grocer. Immigrated 26 September 1910 on the Grampian with his wife Nellie Crichton (1881-1927).

Oddly the passenger shipping record states she went to Victoria and James to Winnipeg - I cannot see any reason for this?? Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be the case?
James, Nellie, young James and brother Thomas all returned to Scotland in 1922 to visit James oldest sister Mary Russell at Moreland cottage Lochwinnoch.

Nellie died in 1927.

James remarried to Elizabeth Bertha Magwood who died 1944 and is buried at Ross Bay Cemetery Victoria BC. 

I can find no place of burial for James who supposedly died 2 June 1965.  James had numerous occupations including Grocer, Book keeper and also Minister.  Would love help to locate his resting place pleas

Before James and Nellie left Scotland they had 2 boys James Cameron Purse (b 1904 Cambuslang- d. 1988 New Westminister British Columbia) and Thomas Crichton Purse (b. 1906 Cambuslang - d. 1888 Maple Ridge Vancouver).
My questions here are:
I could not find their names on the passenger list with their parents.  Ancestry's copy is very hard to read unfortunately  Can anyone locate when the boys arrived in Canada?

Young James married Frances Goddard and had various occupations around tailor cutter/design supervisor. He has Boarder Crossing information which is helpful.  He is buried at Robinson Memorial Park Coquitlam and she is at Mountain View Cemetery.  Not sure if they had children?

Thomas I am less clear about.  Query he divorced Doris Rose, and possibly remarried.  He had a couple of Boarder Crossing entries.  The one on 1 September 1937 was declined for a false and misleading statement - there for immoral purposes!  He went with a Fred ?Noran.  He tried again within 12months this time with Lillian Miller and was rejected again. 
What does the Boarder Crossing Form abbreviation NIV LAC mean please?

Thomas is buried with at Langely Lawn Cemetery Vancouver.  I think Doris and Thomas had a son William Harold Purse (1930-2012) and he is buried with Frances Annie Purse (1918-2013), found through Find a Grave. 
Can anyone shed light on who she is as Find a Grave say's she is Williams spouse!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Hopefully some questions can be answered, or a fellow chatter can put me correct.
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PURSE James & Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
I can find no place of burial for James who supposedly died 2 June 1965.  James had numerous occupations including Grocer, Book keeper and also Minister.  Would love help to locate his resting place pleas

According to James's death certificate, he is buried in Royal Oak Burial Park

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/925477eb-11c7-4817-9f0c-f3ce2eb1f915

RK

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
...Before James and Nellie left Scotland they had 2 boys James Cameron Purse (b 1904 Cambuslang- d. 1988 New Westminister British Columbia) and Thomas Crichton Purse (b. 1906 Cambuslang - d. 1888 Maple Ridge Vancouver).
My questions here are:
I could not find their names on the passenger list with their parents.  Ancestry's copy is very hard to read unfortunately  Can anyone locate when the boys arrived in Canada?...

UK Outward Passenger List
Sailing on the Grampian, departing Glasgow, Scotland on 29 April 1911 and arriving Montreal, Canada
Mrs? Jas Purse, wife
James Purse, child
Thomas Purse, child
All "Scotch"
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
James Cameron Purse Jr's death cert has a son listed as informant.  You can read his name here

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/2998e2b0-1b82-43bf-822e-5bee0a59a727

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:11 BST (UK) »

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Grampian sailing from Glasgow to Scotland and arriving 24 September 1910, it looks like
James Purse, age 32, married, destination Winnipeg, was Grocer, intending to be a Missionary
??ttie Purves?, age 23?, single, destination Victoria?, BC, was housekeeper and intended to be a housekeeper.

Did James travel with his sister?  Why was she recorded as single?  It looks like she was only 23 years old.   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
...Before James and Nellie left Scotland they had 2 boys James Cameron Purse (b 1904 Cambuslang- d. 1988 New Westminister British Columbia) and Thomas Crichton Purse (b. 1906 Cambuslang - d. 1888 Maple Ridge Vancouver).
My questions here are:
I could not find their names on the passenger list with their parents.  Ancestry's copy is very hard to read unfortunately  Can anyone locate when the boys arrived in Canada?...

UK Outward Passenger List
Sailing on the Grampian, departing Glasgow, Scotland on 29 April 1911 and arriving Montreal, Canada
Mrs? Jas Purse, wife
James Purse, child
Thomas Purse, child
All "Scotch"

Great find Lisa.  Here is the image of the Purse family on the Grampian, 1911,  Nellie, James and Thomas... she is going to her husband.  (Free image, from the Library and Archives Canada site)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kwq/

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you, RK.   :)  Thank you for your help with the image.

Looking at the UK Outward Passenger List (17 September 1910) for James Purse and "Nellie",
Nettie Purves, Dom., age 23, going to Victoria.
Directly above her name is
Georgina Gill(?), Dressmaker, age 23, going to Victoria.

Could the two women have known each other and intended to settle in Victoria?  Perhaps Nettie was not "your" Nellie?

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 17 23:44 BST (UK) »
Lisa, that makes a lot of sense.  "Nellie" on the 1910 census passenger list (oops...wrote the wrong thing :P) is actually Nettie Purves, and no relation to James Purse.  This explains why she is going to Vancouver and not to Winnipeg.

The 1911 passenger list that you found shows Nellie and the 2 boys coming to live with James. 

This is how it often happens... husband comes out first and gets settled, then wife and children come later.  I can't imagine Nellie coming to Canada in 1910 with James and leaving both of her boys behind ???

RK