Author Topic: PURSE James & Family  (Read 3132 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PURSE James & Family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 02:45 BST (UK) »

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 02:50 BST (UK) »

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:06 BST (UK) »
Nora's obit says she was in the Province for 40 years, so must have arrived around 1928. 

You have Nora's date of death from her death cert.  You could see if the Victoria Library has an obituary for her. 

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/2e243db7-4c3c-48fe-8a22-da9a127710c0

RK

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the documents although I still haven't found a marriage certificate for James and Nora.  I love the names of the areas, Moose Jaw!!

Also I have not been able to access a clear image of the immigration for James, Nellie, and children.  Could someone confirm where their port of arrival is.  And also James' occupation if recorded.
Many thanks.
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:28 BST (UK) »
I still haven't found a marriage certificate for James and Nora. 

The second wife died in 1944, so that is a minimum of 1944 to be a marriage year to Nora.  BC privacy laws for marriages tops out at 1941. 

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
Awesome thanks for that - I shan't keep looking!  So many different rules for different countrie, and I am still trying to work my way around Canadian records!

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I posted a link to an image of the passenger list showing Nellie and the two boys in arriving in 1911 (see Reply 6).  Lisa found them - the ship, date etc and posted the information.  I just added the link to the Library and Archives Canada image.  I don't know what the image on a...y looks like, because I don't have a current sub.  I guess you can choose whichever one is the clearest. 

Going from the information provided by Lisa in Reply 5, you can find the Grampian arriving on 24 Sept 1910, on the Library and Archives Canada site as well. 

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=5488&

If you have access to another site where you can do a name search and can get the page number showing James... you can flip to the same page number here and see if the image is any better.  If not... you can page through this list to find your James.  Best to magnify the entire screen so that you can read the individual images, instead of choosing them one by one, making them bigger, than having to start again with each image.  You will see what I mean when you try to go through the passenger list.  A bit annoying, but the images are free, so we shouldn't complain!!  Hope this passenger list will be clearer than any other one you may have seen on a different site.

RK

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 06:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks RK
I will give that a go shortly.

Thanks again everyone for their time and expertise :)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 06:25 BST (UK) »
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=5488&
RK

I took a look (it's page 12 on the above link that RK gave), and I think that Mr. Purse is travelling alone.  The passenger list has grouped the folks somewhat alphabetically, and, after trying to clean it up in photoshop, I have to agree with the transcriber that the name below Purse is Purves.  Also, they are not travelling on the same ticket (column 1).  It looks more like age 73? 
I honestly think that two similar names in a row is "tricking" you.