Author Topic: Questionable SHILLING marriage 1747  (Read 1742 times)

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Questionable SHILLING marriage 1747
« on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
I'm helping a gentleman in California with the surname Shilling trace his paternal tree and I'm looking for advice on a Shilling marriage in 1747.  I've come across a Shilling family tree on a website called Our Family Tree:  https://www.ourfamtree.org/index.php?loggedout  In the tree, there is a marriage between Thomas Shilling and Elizabeth Rowe in 1747 in Bethersden.  However, when I checked the Bethersden Bishop's Transcripts for the period of 1746-49, I couldn't find the marriage.  These are the marriages that I found:

Bethersden Marriages – Bishop’s Transcripts   Lady Day to Lady Day (March 25)

1746-1747

Dec 29 1746    John Gold of Ashford and Mary Kemp of this parish by Banns
Jan 29 1747    John Bissenden and Eleanor Marsh both of the parish of Kingsnorth by license
Feb 18 1747    Francis Whitfield and Sarah Wilmott both of this parish by license

1747-1748

April 23 1747    Robert Gladdish of Biddenden and Ann Andrews of this parish
Oct 1 1747       Thomas Else and Sarah Harris both of this parish
Oct 2 1747       William Mepham of the parish of Little Chart and Ann Hopper of this parish
Oct 27 1747     William Brown of the parish of High Halden and Elizabeth Stephenson of this parish
Dec 26 1747     John Bates of the parish of Ulcombe and Mary George of this parish

1748-1749     

Sept 30 1748   Edward Brown and Elizabeth Jacob
Nov 10 1748   John Brunger and Martha Brown
Jan 1 1749   James Davis and Sarah Weston
Jan 22 1749   Thomas Russel and Sarah Horton

I've checked Ancestry, Family Search, Find My Past and Free Reg for a marriage between Thomas Shilling and Elizabeth Rowe from 1740 to 1750 and came up empty.  I did, however, find a marriage between Thomas Shilling and Elizabeth LEWIS in Warehorne on April 11, 1748. 

Should I just disregard the Shilling/Rowe marriage? This was the period before the Hardwicke Marriage Act of 1754. 

Thanks.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable SHILLING marriage 1747
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
It looks like the wrong information has been carried over to other sites. This is similar to Ancestry where errors get perpetuated.  This is the point of verifying information.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
ronsaghey,

Here are my thoughts:

1) Have you checked baptismal registers for any children this couple might have had?

2) Is there a way of contacting the person who posted that information?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 November 17 01:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on FamilySearch KFNX-FNY ​ which had Thomas married to Elizabeth Lewis LZNH-7BL ​ but as with ancestry view with caution.

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 November 17 02:13 GMT (UK) »
I've checked Cranbrook parish registers. The Archdeacon's Transcripts show a baptism on September 11, 1725, for Elizabeth, daughter of Nathaniel and Susanna Row.  The Archdeacon's Transcripts also show a burial for an Elizabeth Row on February 10, 1727/28. There are no further baptisms for an Elizabeth Row after 1725 or burials after 1727/28.

It's hard to tell who originally posted the Shilling/Rowe marriage. As with Ancestry, so many things get blindly copied based on Ancestry trees which are notoriously unreliable.

Warehorne Bishop's Transcripts show the following marriage:

Thomas Shilling & Elizabeth Lewis were married April 11, 1748, after Banns canonically published.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have been unclear, ronsaghey. I meant baptisms for possible children of Thomas Shilling and Elizabeth Rowe starting in 1747. Sometimes a marriage might be missing (or not yet found) but we can still find baptisms for subsequent children.

The person who originally posted the info might have assumed a marriage date and place based on when and where the couple started having children baptized. It's a possibility, anyway.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Elizabeth had the following children:

John baptised Feb 19, 1748/49
Mary baptised Oct 14, 1750
Thomas baptised Mar 21, 1752/53
Richard baptised July 13, 1755
Robert baptised Nov 13, 1757
Elizabeth baptised Sept 6, 1761
Abraham baptised June 10, 1764

Abraham is a Shilling family first name which got passed down from four generations earlier.

John had four children: Elizabeth, Sarah, John, James and Elizabeth
Thomas had no children
Richard had 14 children: Thomas, Richard, John, Richard, William, Abraham, James, George, Charles, Mary, Charlotte, Sarah, Edward and Elizabeth.
Robert had 11 children:  Elizabeth, Daniel, Robert, Thomas, Isaac, Eliza, Amy, Winch, William, Richard and Sarah.
Abraham had one child so far that I've been able to confirm:  Ann Bailey Shilling, with Ann's mother's maiden name being Ann Bailey.

Elizabeth Lewis' parents were Thomas Lewis and Tabitha Bigg.  Her paternal grandparents were William Lewis and Rachel Unknown. Her maternal grandparents were George Bigg and Mary Unknown.