Author Topic: Liverpool Uni and Archives  (Read 997 times)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Uni and Archives
« on: Tuesday 17 October 17 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm back in Lancashire a bit and I'm hoping to pick a few local brains. I can get to Liverpool easily on local trains and hope to explore but just getting my bearings

Can anyone tell me please which uni buildings would have been the old Little verpool Unversity during the forties please and if they're still in use or if there's  anywhere I can get close by for photos?

Also, I want to do some local and shippping research. I'm guessing the maritime museum but where is best  in Liverpool for family history research?

Also want to get down to see the ferry we used to  go over to Birkenhead on when we were kids

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Uni and Archives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 08:31 BST (UK) »
I imagine the old Uni Buildings would be the Victorian red brick ones on Brownlow Hill. The Maraitme Museum is obviously your best bet for researching shipping and the Records Office is in the Cemtral Library on William Brown Street - newly refurbished and well worth a visit. The ferries are still going as well. Enjoy your visit but if you haven't been here for some time you will notice a lot of change.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again Emeltom

Thank you again!

I've been a couple of times but didn't get far from the station and shops

I'll be there for a couple of appointments but I'd like to get into general research and look ups too

I'm not sure what the next few months will bring but if I'm on the loose long enough I'd like to try those

I think I'll just get a taxi diwn and look at the Mersey for starters. Is there somewhere with coffee by the ferry terminal

Thank you for everything

Best wishes

Emms

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 10:42 BST (UK) »
Ps Yes things have definitely changed but I love the way there are so many old buildings still in between the new ones

They've definitely changed since my Dads time. When it was foggy they said the ferrys were cancelled. He told me when he went to school they used to cross in pea soupers and they only knew something was coming if they heard the fog horns!

😳

Best wishes

Emms

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Haven't been down to the Pierhead for ages but you can get coffee in the Museum of Liverpool Life, which is well worth a visit. Just along from the Albert Dock and near to the Ferry Terminal.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Emms
The Maritime Museum is close to the Albert Dock, on the waterfront, with views over the river and the ferries.  Its Archive department is closed for improvement until February but the Museum itself remains open.  There are cafes nearby.  The ferry is now a triangular trip - Pier Head to Woodside to Seacombe, or t'other way round(?).

The Liverpool & S.W. Lancs Family History Society has a help desk in the central library, William Brown Street, 3rd floor, every Tuesday afternoon, with a helpful team.  The society's forum is at:
https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk

A

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
A lot of Liverpool records are now online. Ancestry teamed up with the Liverpool Record Office to create an online collection of records with images ie C of E and RC church baptisms, marriages and burials for most churches for the 19th century and some before and a bit after. Family Search also has a lot of free Liverpool records most notable are burial records for the council cemeteries for the 19th century and Liverpool directories from 1766-1900. Each Liverpool library has both Ancestry and Find My Past free on their pcs. Find My Past is particularly useful for 20th century Liverpool as they have the 1939 Register.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770691.0

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/uk/liverpool

The above shows Liverpool Ancestry contents page but links don't appear to work now so search for Liverpool in Card Catalogue instead:-

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/cardcatalog.aspx#ccat=hc=25&dbSort=1&sbo=1&title=liverpool&keyword=&

Blue

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
The church records on Ancestry only seem to cover about a quarter of the churches whose records are available on Microfilm at the Central Library, and there are huge gaps in many.

Add in the library's stock of newspapers and so on, and you could lose yourself in research for DAYS.

The ferry terminal had a decent coffee shop when I was last there. There's good business to be had serving ferry passengers. The area around has several maritime-themed memorials, and just on the other side of the main road is the church of St. Nicholas.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi both

Thank you so much for all the info

I'll definitely have a look on line but itching to get my fingers involved o something real again!

I'll see what I can do from here

Thanks again

Emms