Author Topic: Adam Ridings (1820-1894) of Bury Lancashire  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Ridings (1820-1894) of Bury Lancashire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:40 BST (UK) »

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Census records show Adam and Martha at 30 Badger St in 1861, 26 Badger St in 1871, 1881 and 1891. Of course they may have always been in the same house but the street numbering changed!

In all these census entries there is no mention of a pub on Badger street. In 1851 their address is "2 Back of Moorside" and in 1841 Adam is unmarried and with his father at Fernhill, Bury (there was a colliery at Fernhill).

As he was recorded as a beer seller on two of the children's baptisms in the 1840s, I think the 'Lancashire Wrestler' venture might have been before they moved to Badger St.
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
    Baptism: 6th Aug 1843 St Mary the Virgin, Bury, Lancashire, England
    Elizabeth Ann Ridings - Daughter of Adam Ridings & Martha
    Born: 22th Jun 1843
    Abode: Bury
    Baptised by: J.F.Coates Curate

Baptism: 13th Apr 1845 St Mary the Virgin, Bury.
    James Ridings - Son of Adam Ridings & Martha
    Born: 28th Dec 1844
    Baptised by: F. A. Power Curate

Baptism: 25th Dec 1847 St Mary the Virgin, Bury.
    William Henry Ridings - Son of Adam Ridings & Martha
    Born: 13th Dec 1846
    Baptised by: G. Nightingale Curate

He seems to change his profession a few times ?

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Could have been that they ran a beerhouse from home rather than a fully licensed pub.  I've a few of those in my family trees, and sometimes it was  the wife that ran the beerhouse while the husband  had another job full time. Adam was a rag dealer in the 1851 census. He may have done whatever work was available to fit round the wrestling.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
Does make perfect sense, I am pretty sure they were selling beer at their house, yes Adam Ridings was called beer-seller in local and London papers in the 40's. And yeah googlemap shows 26 Badger Street Bury Lancashire as that the same "blue door building".  Heres what I have on Ridings' business:

2-11-1843. Preston Chronicle.Beer Case. – At the petty sessions, yesterday week, Adam Ridings, beer-seller, Moorside, was charged by Inspector Heamer with having disorderly company in his house, at one o’clock on the Tuesday morning previous. The inspector started, that there were above 50 persons in the house; and, upon going up stairs, he saw a number of young men dancing upon their heads, and some upon their feet. After a good deal of laughter by the magistrates and the court, about the party dancing upon their heads, the defendant admitted the alleged facts; and, being the first offence, he was fined 10s. and costs.

3-5-1843. Bells Life in London.Adam Dockham, of Bury, states that he will wrestle any man in England of his own weight, 10st 10lb, for £25 or £50 a-side, two back falls out of three, catch-as-catch-can; or he will wrestle Fisher of Bolton, of Samuel Junction of Oldham, catch weight, for the like sum. His money is ready at his own house, the Lancashire Wrestler, Moor Side, Bury, Lancashire.

12-10-1843. BBL.John Catlow, of Bury, can be matched against any lad in England that does not stand above five feet, to run 120 yards and jump one run jump for from £5 to £20, but not less than £5. If not accepted he will run any of the following:-- Thomas Ainsworth or Civil Walker 120 yards, if they will stake from £5 to £6, or give two yards start; or James Wolfenden the same length, if he will give two yards; or Kenyon, the Flying Saddler, 120 yards, for his own sun; or John Heaton, (all of Bury) 80 yards for the like sum. First come first served. His money will be ready at any time at Adam Riding’s, sign of the Lancashire Wrestler, Moorside, Bury.

5-9-1847. BLL. Adam Ridings of Bury will fight James Quick of Walmersley for £20 or £25 a-side, in three months after the first deposit. The money is ready at the Lancashire Wrestler, Moor-side, Bury.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Adam married Martha in 1842,all mentions of his beer-selling business follow that event...I didnt know Adam was married prior to his marriage with Martha...unmarried,wow...he was like 22 when he married Martha,I wonder how long lasted his first marriage.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
Cant locate -  "2 Back of Moorside",is it a street Back of Moorside???

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Heres what I have in 1846 Adam is co-organizer of Lancashire Wrestling Championship, at Littlewood Cross near Bury. For that purpose he partnered up with Mr. J. Pearson of “Boar's Head”
Referee was Mr. Woolner gentleman of Bury.Attendance was huge 3,000 spectators. Two weight classes - heavyweights and lightweights. Any ideas about the venue,I mean three thousand people is a lot of people.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it was a 'proper' public house, I think I have found it on a map from 1849

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/381059/411275/13/101409

Find the junction of Moor Side and Moor Gate on the lower left hand side of the square. Go up Moor Side a little bit and there is a pub on the left hand side I think says Lancashire Wrestler (I haven't got  sub to Old Maps so can only enlarge the image a little bit then use a magnifying glass!)
Further up Moor Side on the right hand side you can see Badgers Lane, presumably a forerunner of the Badger St the Ridings lived on.

If you then switch to the 1891 map of the same area, the pub is no longer marked.

Return to the present day and the location of the pub is now somewhere underneath the Walmersley Road roundabout?

:) Barbara