Author Topic: Reply to 20-year-old query  (Read 1902 times)

Online Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reply to 20-year-old query
« on: Tuesday 17 October 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
This is weird!

Some of you will remember the old pre-internet Queries page in Family Tree Magazine?  I had a query printed there about 20 years ago and lots of kind readers replied (by snail-mail) giving me information - my question was answered many times over.  I duly wrote letters back to each person thanking them for helping me.

Yesterday I decided to sort out some old FH papers and found all the letters these people had written in answer to my query.  I read through them again and then put them in the recycling bin.

Today, I received another letter in response to my original enquiry, with the printed piece cut out of the magazine and stapled to the reply.  The letter was post-marked in January this year, but the address was partially incorrect, so it had only just found its way to me - as though it was waiting to join all the others I got rid of yesterday!

And if you're wondering, yes, I've just written a short letter to thank the person who kindly replied to my enquiry of 20 years ago.

I could have Googled the question and probably found the answer in about two minutes!

Melbell

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Reply to 20-year-old query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 18:22 BST (UK) »

Restores your faith in the human race.  That there is someone who after 20 years takes the time and trouble to answer a question, by snail mail,  that may or may not have been answered.  Most folk wouldn't bother after so long.  Shows what a great bunch of people family historians are  ;D

Shame you put the replies in the bin, I'd have kept them and filed them away  ::) hmmm maybe that's why the lids on longer fit on my filing boxes  ::) time for a sort out ?
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 19:30 BST (UK) »

Restores your faith in the human race.  That there is someone who after 20 years takes the time and trouble to answer a question, by snail mail,  that may or may not have been answered.  Most folk wouldn't bother after so long.  Shows what a great bunch of people family historians are  ;D

Shame you put the replies in the bin, I'd have kept them and filed them away  ::) hmmm maybe that's why the lids on longer fit on my filing boxes  ::) time for a sort out ?

I would have kept them too Suey.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 19:35 BST (UK) »

I would have kept them too Suey.

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for your replies.  I agree with the sentiment about how great FHers are.  As for keeping the replies - well, I did, for 20 years!!  But I am a terrible hoarder and there comes a time when you have to harden your heart and start to do a little sorting out, however difficult that is.

Melbell

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
It's funny how coincidences happen sometimes. Last week, my mother took her phone out of her bag to find she'd accidentally pressed some buttons and it was busy sending something. Cue panic, pressing other buttons trying to make it stop, taking out the battery etc. Of all the people in her phone book, who did it send it to? Me. Of all the photos in her album, what did it choose? A photo of our late cat. What was the occasion? What would have been the cat's 23rd birthday. Strange world sometimes.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
This reminded me of a coincidence that happened a few months ago.

I have an email address which I use if I have to register with a site that may bombard me with junk mail.  I rarely check this email address but one evening I thought I would have a quick look.  I had received an email that day from BillionGraves saying that someone had responded to my request (from about three years ago) and had posted a photograph of my grandparent's graves.  If I had checked the emails a few days later it would have been lost and, later still, deleted.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 October 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
I wrote to someone once about some FH possible connection.

About 20 years later I got a reply "Sorry I took so long to answer....."   ::)  ::) ::) ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
I liken family history research to fishing, you bait the line, cast and wait patiently.  Sometimes there is a bite and you real in the new information.  Haven't been doing it for 20 years, but have had replies three or four years after I made a query.  Sometimes it is confirming information I have, but other times it is pure gold, like a copy of the autograph of my actor cousin or confirmation that a photo is of whom I think.  Other times it is a lead to a whole new branch.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 October 17 07:54 BST (UK) »

That's a good way to describe it Nanna!

I found a cousin who dangled her hook in the water 3 years before I found her query on the site when I first started my research and gained a new family member. ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)