Author Topic: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Firstly, Martha Cox, for whom I had noted a record in the 1881 Census as follows: "England and Wales Census, 1881," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3PQ-LNT : 16 November 2014), Martha Cox in household of William Cox, Islington, Middlesex, England; from "1881 England, Scotland and Wales census," database and images, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : n.d.); citing p. 64, PRO RG 11/231 / 63, The National Archives, Kew, Surrey; FHL microfilm 1,341,050.
- only FamilySearch tells me that the record is no longer available. Is anyone able to verify the following information, which I noted from that record?
"It lists her 4 children with the surname Collins, ranging in ages from 6 to 14. Her second husband is William Cox, but the children retain the name Collins." The 4 children I have created for her are James Frederick, Frederick Charles (died as an infant 1846 - records found), Ada L, Albert Edward and George H.

From other records I have surmised that she was previously married to Frederick Collings and the family turn up in Clerkenwell in the 1871 Census here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBD2-B9S, with 2 children, James and Ada.

Frederick dies in 1875 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2JK9-Q68, and she marries William Cox in July 1880 in Newington: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ4Y-MR3

The reason I am looking at this family in the first place is because the origins of an Albert Edward Cock-Collins, who turns up in Cape Town at the end of the 19th C, remain mysterious. There are no other recorded instances of this surname, save his descendants. One of the family stories suggested that he had connections to Cornwall, but previous research down this line (everything I could lay my hands on in Cornish records of that period) showed no evidence of this surname. We know that he (and his wife Martha Carter, from Cape Town) returned to London around 1904, where his third son Cecil was born in West Ham.

I happened upon the Cox/Collings connection in my last bout of research a year or two back, but got no further, and would like to revisit and build on this if possible. What do you think of the likelihood of this connection?

I have also made notes (possibly from records sighted on Ancestry or FindMyPast) that there was an A.E.Collins who made a passport application on 24 June 1894, and there's an A.E.Cox who was a passenger on the Mexican on May 23rd 1896 (although no information about the destination).

If anyone can assist with that 1881 Census record, and/or offer any other suggestions or opinions on this matter, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
1881 census record lists

William Cox 26
Martha Cox 34
James F Collins 14
Ada L Collins 11
Albert E Collins 9
George H Collins 6

address 137 Copenhagen St Islington

Martha and 3 youngest children born Clerkenwell James born Kingsland Middlesex
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Destination for the Mexican 23 May 1896 was Natal so that's a link to SA and Cape Town if nothing else.

Mr A E Cox age 24 was a clerk.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Do you know Martha's maiden name?  Just to double check her Arthur E was Arthur Edward.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Think you an possibly rule this chap out - did a search for Albert E Collings and there seems to be quite a lot for him,all on this country. He is a boarder in Rotherhithe in 1891, married in 1894 and can be located in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. He also appears in the probate calendar.

Also note that Martha Cox is in Norfolk in the 1891 census with her husband and youngest son George whose surname is Collings, suggesting that Collins as written in 1881 was an error.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
More background info on AE Cock-Collins (and some guesswork as to his parentage) here:  https://www.geni.com/people/Albert-Cock-Collins-SV-PROG/6000000000836612651
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Have you researched Albert Edward Cock whose birth was registered in Truro in 4Q 1871?

At first pass I can't see any other records for him.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks all - that's all useful information.  :)

Milliepede - Great to have the census info and destnation of the ship. If this is the correct Martha, it says her father was William Hallam: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NJ4Y-MR3 - but I am confused about Arthur E; did you mean to write Albert?

Millmoor - thanks. I wonder why they went to Norfolk? Is there any other useful info about the family? Where in Norfolk? (I can't find anything via FamilySearch on that one either.)

ShaunJ - yes,  thanks - I am trying to build on that Geni record. I can't remember about the Truro Cock - too long ago since I looked at the Cornwall records, although it does sound vaguely familiar. I think I came across a few possibles but nothing to tie them in. (Penzance was mentioned in particular, but I don't think I found anything there at all - although I did come across a few Cocks and Collinses in Cornwall.)

I'll add some annotations but will have to come back to it tomorrow (it's late in Australia!).

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
1891 Martha Cox is with husband shown as Wm and son shown as Geo H Collings in Wormegay, Norfolk (Downham RD).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)