Author Topic: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?  (Read 10051 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 October 17 05:20 BST (UK) »
The 1891 census for York Infantry Barracks has Andrew Collins, private, aged 20, born Kerwin Cornwall. This must be Albert.

Thanks again, Shaun.

Having now found my way to FreeCEN, I am having some luck with retrieving further information there - only just started, first 1871 gave me a few more details, finds them running the Ship Inn (now Victoria Inn, and still there), in the Threemilestone district, and now I have just found James aged 17 in the 1851 Census:

Surname       First name(s)       Rel       Status       Sex       Age       Occupation       Where Born       Remarks   
        COCK       James       Head       M       M       48       Builder (Employing 2 Men)        Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       Jane       Wife       M       F       47               Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       William       Son       U       M       20       Printer        Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       Edward       Son       U       M       19       Grocer        Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       James       Son       U       M       17       Teacher In British Schools        Cornwall - Truro           
               COCK       Joseph       Son       U       M       15       Painters Apprentice        Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       Jane       Dau       U       F       12               Cornwall - Truro           
        COCK       John H       Son       U       M       9               Cornwall - Truro           
        WEBBER       Mary       Servnt       U       F       20       House Servant        Cornwall - Truro       

- So now that I'm on a roll, I'm going to work on finding what I can online with regard to the Cornwall life of the family, and then come back to the London moves.

One thing that struck me is that Albert is only about 7 when his father dies; I have yet to follow up on his mother, but perhaps Emily (Kate) became a kind of surrogate mum, and if her possibly older husband a father to Albert?

- I'll return once I have more definite info and some of the timelines sketched out and see where that leads.    

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Just briefly visiting the London end and going back to the Arthur Kilonback story, @ShaunJ, and the connection with his wife Ellen Leavers - what I have now found is a little confusing.

There's a 1901 Census record for their family here (presumably before moving to Caistor Park Road): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9NB-RV3

My problem is that I have found 2 Leavers families in Cornwall with daughter Ellen now.  ???

In 1871 there's an Ellen Leavers in Liskeard, aged 12, mother Elizabeth.

In 1871 there's an Ellen J Leavers in Kenwyn, aged 11, parents Edward and Philippa; they also appear in 1861 at a different address. Edward is a mason and their addresses are very close to the one I've now traced for the Cocks - only he is older than James Jnr the teacher/accountant and much younger than James Snr the builder. But on the face of it, this one would seem more likely, except that 1901 Census record says birthplace Liskeard.

Can you tell me where the Kilonback connection to that address is recorded? This is just too strange.

(I am still working my way through loads of records, finding a couple of children adopted children in the family too...)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 October 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Will send you a PM about Arthur Kilonback.

There are several West Ham addresses to be researched in this case and it would be worth seeking a look-up in the electoral rolls for 82 St James Road in the 1890's; 20 Corporation Street and 146 Caistor Park Road circa 1904. You could post a request on the Essex board and/or contact the Newham Local Studies Library which holds the electoral rolls

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
The family at 82 St James Road in 1891 was that of Robert Pearson.

As we have come to expect, there is a Cornwall connection. Robert Pearson's wife Jeanette (nee Barns) was born in St Germans, Cornwall in 1845 (birth registered as Jennet Wooding Barns, mmn Woodward).

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all of that, Shaun. Those are great suggestions.

I must just work on getting the earlier part of the family tree assembled first, based on what I've found on James Snr, then I'll come back to this.

I wonder why they all moved up to London?

Emily (Woolcott) is listed as "Keeper Beer House", btw; James Jr an accountant, so it looks as if they might have been running The Ship (now Victoria Inn) at Threemilestone. Perhaps she ran a pub in London before that?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Does this relate to the same Cock family that Annette mentions on reply 15 ?

Albert Edward Cock born 5th October 1871
Bp 11th May 1875 St James Hatcham Surrey - edited Lewisham
James Cock, occ commercial traveller - edited
Emily, abode 9 Walpole Street

Emily Kate Jane Cock
Baptism 1 Jun 1864 St Mary Islington born 4th May
James Cock occ clerk
Emily abode Ba?sbury St

Frederick William Cock
Baptism 22 Apr 1866 St Mary Islington born 26 Mar
James Cock occ Railway ial?
Emily abode Ba?sbury St.

For info.
James Cock age 27 born Truro a boarder in Islington London, occ Railway Clerk
1861 census RG 9; Piece: 128; Folio: 128; Page: 7

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Albert Edward Cock born 5th October 1871
Bp 11th May 1875 St James Hatcham Surrey
James Cock, occ commercial clerk,
Emily, abode 9 Walpole Street

That's a good find, Ladyhawk.

Looking at the original image, the occupation is "commercial traveller" which ties in with Emily Kate Cock's marriage register entry in 1884 ("traveller" )

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:30 BST (UK) »

Looking at the original image, the occupation is "commercial traveller" which ties in with Emily Kate Cock's marriage register entry in 1884 ("traveller" )

You are correct Shaun occupation should read commercial traveller - will modify my post  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 October 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Bingo! That's a great find, thanks, Ladyhawk.  :) I don't suppose it says where Albert Edward was born? Looks as if they waited 4 years to baptise him...

I think I've done my dash for tonight though - I've spent a long time looking up and recording the Cornwall records today and it's late here now. I'll have to come back to this tomorrow.

(Edit: I couldn't help having a go at looking up the addresses. That road must be Barnsbury St - not far from the Almeida and the King's Head. I used to be fairly familiar with Islington decades ago, when I lived in Stoke Newington! I found Hatcham St James too. The current church must have been rebuilt though; it looks quite modern.)