Author Topic: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?  (Read 10014 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 07 December 17 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks Shaun - I did already have that one, and now have a heap more documents relating to Albert that I still need to finish sorting and writing up, obtained via that person on the Anglo-Boer War site. (I have been temporarily diverted to Scotland on another branch, but will return to finish AEC-C next.)

The reason I am reporting back today on this thread, though, is that the marriage certificate for James Cock-Emily Woollcott that I'd ordered from GRO weeks ago has finally arrived, and fortunately does confirm that James Cock Jr is the son of James Cock the builder.

The actual marriage certificate (certified copy) shows James, bachelor, 29, railway clerk, of 5 Barnsbury Square, son of James Cock, builder, and Emily Woollcott, spinster, 18, of 5 Richmond Terrace, daughter of William Thomas Woollcott, actuary, married in the Register Office in Islington on 8 Nov 1862. Witnesses are Benjamin Stokes May and Esther Ann May (which, oddly, doesn't tally with the FS record of the wedding registration https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DVC-MVW, but who knows why?).

Daughter Emily Kate's birth is later shown as Barnsbury, which must be the address given above.

So - I cannot now locate the post in the other thread in which Shaun reports that someone else's tree showed James as son of William (see replies 50-51 in this thread), but I now have confirmation that I am correct and they are wrong.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Cox 1881 Census; Albert Edward Cox/Collins on passenger records 1896?
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 07 December 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Glad that's sorted out!

That familysearch marriage record does not include witnesses, just the names of the 4 people on page 460 of volume 1B of the marriage register for Q4 1862. This information is taken from the GRO marriage index.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 07 December 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »

The actual marriage certificate (certified copy) shows

James, bachelor, 29, railway clerk, of 5 Barnsbury Square, son of James Cock, builder

Emily Woollcott, spinster, 18, of 5 Richmond Terrace, daughter of , William Thomas Woollcott married in the Register Office in Islington on 8 Nov 1862.

Witnesses are Benjamin Stokes May and Esther Ann May

Daughter Emily Kate's birth is later shown as Barnsbury, which must be the address given above.

Thank you for giving an update and details of the marriage cert.

for info. have quoted the baptism records at the start of this thread showing address

Emily Kate Jane Cock
Baptism 1 Jun 1864 St Mary Islington born 4th May
James Cock occ clerk
Emily abode Barnsbury St

Frederick William Cock
Baptism 22 Apr 1866 St Mary Islington born 26 Mar
James Cock occ Railway ial?
Emily abode Barnsbury St.

Edit

Emily Woollcott born 28th May 1844 Baptism 8 Sep 1844 Clerkenwell St James, Islington,
parents William Thomas Woollcott occ Officer’s Clerk, Catharine Ann, 4 Roseman St

Emily Woollcott mmn  BOULTON  1844  Jun Quarter Saint James' Clerkenwell 

witness Benjamin Stokes May possibly married Catherine Ann Woollcott Emily's mother - you would need to verify, Mar 1858 Islington Volume:   1b   Page:   278

1861c RG 9; Piece: 126; Folio: 131; Page: 14
25 Cloudsley Sq Islington
Benjamin S May           39 Clerkenwell General Merchant
Catherine A May   38 Clerkenwell

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 07 December 17 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to Ladyhawk's findings

Death for Benjamin Stokes May in Nov1864

Marriage 31 May 1869 in Paddington

James James 70 widower
Catherine Ann May 46 widow - father named as George Boulton.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 07 December 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh, great, thanks all!

I also found a census record for Benjamin Stokes in Cloudsley Square, 1861 (which is very close to Barnsbury and Richmond) and I think a birth record, which I will dig up again. And also found one definite baptism record for a sibling to Catherine Ann (George John) and a marriage for him, but nothing definite for the mother, Mary, as yet. (A few other possible siblings but baptised in a different church so not adding them at this point.)

Nice to be able to build the Stokes connection though! (No peace for the wicked, eh?)

Edit: Of course, I now realise that the 1861 record mentioned by Ladyhawk above is the Census record I saw earlier. I just didn't pay enough attention to the others listed on the record! I will follow this up - it seems likely.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 07 December 17 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Benjamin Stokes May had some Dutch ancestry https://www.genealogieonline.nl/parenteel-naudin/I320.php

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Benjamin Stokes May had some Dutch ancestry https://www.genealogieonline.nl/parenteel-naudin/I320.php

Oh, that's interesting - thanks, Shaun!

I've just managed to finish building Catherine's 3 marriages, and found her probable death record:
JAMES, CATHERINE ANN (age) 60 GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 216
(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2J2Y-99Y)

- And that is enough for tonight! (But I will return tomorrow just to add Benjamin's parents. Guillaume sounds French. But I won't go too crazy there, seeing as he's not in the bloodline. I need to get back to those Scots on the other side, and also finish with AEC-C!)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Benjamin Stokes May's maternal grandparents were Huguenots whose families fled France after the Edict of Fontainebleau in 1685.

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 07 December 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Benjamin Stokes May's maternal grandparents were Huguenots whose families fled France after the Edict of Fontainebleau in 1685.

Ah, interesting - I've just found my way to the Dutch version of their story. I'll have another dig tomorrow. I've already done a bit of reading on the topic after coming across another Huguenot ancestor who went to Knowle in Warwickshire, was married and widowed twice there, then down to London where he married a much younger woman who was also a French Huguenot. There were several of their churches in London at the time, and at least one is still in existence.