Author Topic: Ancestry.com and FindMyPast  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Smudgeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancestry.com and FindMyPast
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Complete newbie to RootsChat here, so hello everybody! I've been researching my family tree on Ancestry.com for a few years now.

I'm getting to the stage where I've possibly exhausted all the hints and searches on Ancestry (although it's probably fair to argue this may never really be the case!) and am also mindful of the fact that many Ancestry users have recently been complaining that they seem to be finding new ways to get more and more cash out of people (the latest seems to be the trick of posting any NEW military records on a different site - 3Fold - which requires a separate subscription).

Anyway, without harping on (too late!!) my basic question is this - I have never tried FindMyPast, can you good people on here advise whether it is worth it? Would FindMyPast open up information not on Ancestry, or would I be mostly finding the same info?

Thanks
DEMUTH - Saar/Germany/Deptford/Greenwich
DUNNETT - Suffolk/Deptford
HAWKINGS - Islington/Southwark/Deptford
THOMAS - Clerkenwell/Deptford/Birmingham
SMITH (!) - Deptford/Greenwich/Blackheath
JOHNSON - Deptford/Greenwich
CATCHESIDES - Rotherhithe
STRINGLE - Marylebone
MOSS - Beckenham/Bromley/Sydenham
WILTON - Patcham/Brighton
ATTREE - Beckenham/Lambeth/Dorking/Sussex
SINNOCK - Lewes
STANSBY - Maidstone
RUDKIN & HIBBITT - Rutland
PYKE/PIKE - Street & Ditchling (Sussex)
CAREY - Wiltshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com and FindMyPast
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Whilst Ancestry and Findmypast do have a lot of records in common they both have records that the other does not. The only way to see if Findmypast might be of use to you is to compare their coverage of records with that of Ancestry. Some public libraries have a public subscription to Ancestry and\or Findmypast so that could be a first port of call to see what their detailed coverage is. If it is not possible to do this at a local library then you could take out a short term subscription to Findmypast and see if that helps (if you do that don't forget to cancel it if you don't want it to continue).

Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Smudgeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Just about the perfect answer!

Thank you so much davidft.
DEMUTH - Saar/Germany/Deptford/Greenwich
DUNNETT - Suffolk/Deptford
HAWKINGS - Islington/Southwark/Deptford
THOMAS - Clerkenwell/Deptford/Birmingham
SMITH (!) - Deptford/Greenwich/Blackheath
JOHNSON - Deptford/Greenwich
CATCHESIDES - Rotherhithe
STRINGLE - Marylebone
MOSS - Beckenham/Bromley/Sydenham
WILTON - Patcham/Brighton
ATTREE - Beckenham/Lambeth/Dorking/Sussex
SINNOCK - Lewes
STANSBY - Maidstone
RUDKIN & HIBBITT - Rutland
PYKE/PIKE - Street & Ditchling (Sussex)
CAREY - Wiltshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Smudgeboy and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

I agree with everything David has said as it is each to his own (so to speak).
Being the nerd that I am I subscribe to both - but on a personal level I prefer Ancestry (others will of course say the opposite).

I find Ancestry much more user-friendly with it's search screens. Having said that - Find My Past has old Newspapers and old Military records (pre WW1) -- both of which I have found very useful.

On Ancestry I use the 'Card Catalogue' a lot and input a relevant search term such as a county name or 'schools' or 'poor' -- etc just to see if any datasets come up.
Find My Past have the same useful facility under 'A-Z of record sets'.

There are thousands of data sets on both sites which you would never realise were there except for this facility on both.

Do try Find My Past though, as David suggests -- you will never know if you don't try it.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.