Author Topic: David Cressy born Beverley c1807  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Cressy born Beverley c1807
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 19:41 BST (UK) »
have you seen David Cressey's actual marriage record on the London Marriages on Ancestry?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I looked on Ancestry and found the 1841 census - David's surname transcribed as Crepey!  No wonder I couldn't find it.   ::)

David signs the double 's' on the marriage record in the same way as it's written in the above census.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 October 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Interestingly formal letter from his daughter to David and his wife.  I guess the attitude between parents and children then especially where the father was a butler and therefore aware of how the upper class wrote to one another.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 October 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Artifis,

Thank you so much for sharing this. How lucky you are to have such a momentoe -- not only that, as she wrote it in French, this implies that David and/or his wife, could also speak the language.

Most of my ancestors were still signing with a 'X' at that time!

Thank you again.
Places of interest;

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Most of my ancestors were also signing with an 'X' too.  This family aren't in my ancestry unfortunately but I do remember meeting Louisa when she was being looked after by one of my aunts and uncles, she died aged 99, about three months short of her 100th birthday, the village were already planning for that event as never having occurred before there.

I suspect that David was given the Thornton's London House at 23 Finborough Road, Brompton as he is initially listed as housekeeper in 1871 then annuitant in 1881, he died in 1885 and in 1891 his wife was still there recorded as a Lodging House Keeper - can't see the Thornton's allowing the use of the house for such if they still wanted a London House for 'the season'.  It's an impressive five storey terrace property clearly built to impress when new.

My cousin inherited the letter along with some of Louisa's jewellery when the aunt who had looked after her died.  We've just researched the family because we both remember Louisa when she was an old lady and knew her former house well as another aunt and uncle lived there for best part of 30 years.

With everyone's help I'm amazed at how much I've found out about this family, David certainly travelled about a lot and seems to have been an ambitious guy, presumably must have learnt to speak and read/write French, perhaps a requirement of his employment initially in 1841 in Lord Carberry's household in Belgrave Square in London - a very 'posh' area at the time, then at the Thornton's household at Brockhall in Northamptonshire 1851 to 1861 where the head was the Deputy Lieutenant presumably of Northamptonshire. 

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 October 17 20:24 BST (UK) »
How interesting for you. I can imagine that you must have really enjoyed researching David - who was, lets face it, dealing with the upper echelons of society.

It will have been good looking at the houses as well as I imagine many still exist. David did well didn't he - often domestic servants, particularly those showing promise, were 'tapped' up by future employers. I wonder if he started out as a servant in Yorkshire - or simply moved south and sought employment there.

Did you notice that there was a Probate for him? Not a very large estate, but in many cases, people were clever enough to disperse any excess money to avoid taxation.
Places of interest;

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I did find his probate, frustratingly I couldn't find one for his wife Sarah who died Q2 1900 nor his daughter Margaret who had been helping Sarah run 23 Finborough Road as a boarding house in 1891 and who in 1901 was living in a nice terraced property in Fulham, looks like a middle class sort of house. I think she must have inherited money from Sarah to have been able to live there, then in 1911 she's living with her sister Louisa in Louisa's house on Burghfield Common near Reading, the property she bought with her deceased husband and which I knew extremely well from when my aunt and uncle lived there.  It had a lovely cherry tree just outside the back door, had the nice red and yellow fruit god for eating straight off the tree and my aunt made the most wonderful crumbles with it,  Happy memories.   :)