Author Topic: finding burial place of gt grandfather  (Read 2981 times)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
finding burial place of gt grandfather
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help.  I am trying to find out where James Slack is buried.  He was born around 1824 in Norbury/Notbury Staffordshire or Wildborclough Cheshire.  He died on the 13th February 1898 in Sutton Macclesfield Cheshire.  He was married to Margaret (Kemp), and she died around 1904/7 and is buried in Sutton Churchyard Maclesfield, with people we have never heard of.  I have exhausted my searches, and wonder if anyone can help if they are going to Chester Archives and do a search for me.   I cannot go forward with my family tree until I find out where James is buried.   I have his marriage certificate and it states his father was also called James, but that is all I know, and I would love to find out who his mother was and go further back.    thank you. 
LATHAM Dudley Staffs.Gloucester
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire
SLACK Sutton Macclesfield

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: finding burial place of gt grandfather
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
On Findmypast under the Diocese of Chester Bishop's Transcripts of Baptisms is:

March 2 (1823) in Over, Cheshire. James son of James (a salt boiler - or could be felt!) and Sarah.

There's also a marriage in Whitegate, Cheshire of a James Slack and Sarah Littler on 24 June 1816 "by banns with the consent of their parents" so I assume they were both young.

The only burial I could find for a James Slack was in 1896 for someone born about 1822.  The burial was in Sutton, Macclesfield.  (although I did see the death you found)

However, I don't think these tie up with the man you are looking for.

I found James and Margaret Kemp's marriage, they married in Macclesfield, so I wonder if that's where he was buried?

Was he living at 43 Langley, Sutton when he died or 55 Garden Street, Macclesfield?  (Addresses taken from Cheshire Electoral Registers)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that JenB - it looks as though this query has been going on for sometime, so I'll back out as I have nothing new to add.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
I used to live in this area  :)  The occupation would be Salt Boiler - Winsford has salt mines.  Whitegate would be a good location, not very far from Winsford.  And Slack is a well-known surname in Winsford.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

If I am correct, this is James Slack, in the 1841 Census in Prestbury. People on here who have a subscription to Find My Past, may be able to view the original image, and possibly find out what his occupation (if any) may have been on this particular Census:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7MG-KKH

Now what is interesting for me anyway is that in that Census, there was an Abraham Slack.
This may possibly have been a sibling of James Slack.

In the 1871 Census, James has a Son called Abraham:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBX4-DQS

I tried to track this Abraham, possible sibling of James, through the Census returns. I found an Abraham, on the 1851 Census, in Stockport. What is interesting for me, is that this Abraham appears to have been a: "Colice Printer." If I remember rightly, on one of your posts, you state that James Slack, may have been a: "Calico Printer."
Here is this Abraham on the 1851 Census transcription, on Family Search. Once again, other people on here, who may subscribe to Find My Past, may be able to view the original image. Abraham's place of birth has been put down as Staffordshire:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2D-BCK

It is interesting that on the 1841 Census transcriptions for this pair, their place of birth, has been listed as outside of Cheshire.

I found a baptism for an Abraham Slack, in Longnor, St Bartholomew, Staffordshire for the year 1820, on Find My Past. But however, once again because unfortunately I do not subscribe to FindMyPast, I am unable to click onto it. But perhaps some other people here on Rootschat, may possibly be able to click onto it and see who this persons parents were:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?firstname=abraham&keywordsplace=staffordshire&lastname=slack&yearofbirth=1819&yearofbirth_offset=5

If the original Census image from 1851, for this Abraham in Stockport, gives his birth place as Longnor, then the baptism may probably be the right one.  :)

There is also a baptism for a James Slack, in Longnor, Staffordshire:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?_page=17&keywordsplace=staffordshire&lastname=slack&yearofbirth=1819&yearofbirth_offset=5

But, unfortunately, there is also a burial in Staffordshire for a James Slack, in the same place in 1833.  :(His year of birth has been put down as 1823. However, I don't know if this person, was the same as the baptism for a James that I found:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?collection=parish-burials&keywordsplace=staffordshire&lastname=slack&yearofbirth=1819&yearofbirth_offset=5

But looking at the map, of where this place is, it is only a few miles from Wildboarclough:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Longnor/Wildboarclough/@53.1761944,-1.9828917,12z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a3a52a4e7f7e5:0xdf2b931c493701bf!2m2!1d-1.8696367!2d53.18201!1m5!1m1!1s0x487a37ec37baef79:0xbf705d5a557c6693!2m2!1d-2.02801!2d53.216502

I hope I may have possibly been some help to you.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
I cannot seem to find a James Slack, son of a James being baptised in that area of Staffordshire, or around the Cheshire/ Staffordshire area.  :(

I see that James was living in Sutton, Cheshire, in the 1851 Census.
In the same place on the same Census, there was another Abraham Slack, and his place of birth was put down as: "Longnor, Staffordshire." He was down as being born in 1802, and was a Shoemaker. I cannot see on this transcription, who he was married to:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2M-M4N

Cheers.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Again,

If you are really that keen on trying to find the burial of James Slack, I wander if you have tried a website called Deceased Online at all?

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

I could not find a burial for my 3x Great Grandad, Henry Ringrose on FindMyPast, Family Search, or anywhere else. And the only place that I found it was on the above website.

He was buried in 1917, in Nottingham, most probably in an unmarked grave: There were other people buried in the same plot.

Regarding the 1841 Census, where I found a James Slack aged 18, in the same household as an Abraham Slack: Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to look at the original Census image on Find My Past:

Both Abraham, and James on that Census were printers. Abraham was down as a: "Calico Printer". James was down as aged 18, and listed as a: "Silk Printer". What is interesting that the address of the street is put down as: "Bank Edge." But even more interesting is that at the top of this original image it states: "Township of Wildboarclough."
The transcription (not original image) on Find My Past just states: "Bank Edge, Prestbury, Macclesfield, Cheshire."
Here is a link to this original 1841 Census image on Find My Past:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1841%2f0107%2f0291&parentid=gbc%2f1841%2f0008416245

What is interesting is that in the 1851 Census, your James was still a: "Silk Printer.":

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVV-YJV

I have already posted a link that I found showing Abraham Slack a: "Calico Printer" in the 1851 Census.

What I am getting at here is that I would be very surprised if this Abraham, and James, were not Brothers, or at the very least Cousins.

But I was thinking that there may be an "in between" scenario:

This is just a THEORY A POSSIBILITY: But it goes like this:

This James could have been born illegitimate.
Going back to my 3x Great Grandad Henry Ringrose: He was baptised Henry Pride Ringrose in 1837, in Hoveringham, Nottinghamshire. The name of his Mother was Charlotte Ringrose, and she was not married when Henry was born. The Father's name was not put down on the register, or the baptism record. But on the 1841 Census in Hoveringham, there was a William Pride, who was single, and living a few doors down from the Ringrose's. His occupation was a: "Framework Knitter", and he was living with his mother.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short, there were no other "Pride candidates" in the immediate area who could have been the Father of my Henry.

Henry married in 1860, in Nottingham. He lied on his marriage certificate. Under, name , and occupation of father he had written: "William Ringrose, Deceased.":
It is my opinion that Henry used the Christian name of his biological father, and the surname of his mother.

Henry's mother, Charlotte Ringrose, married Joseph Hall, in Shepshed, Leicestershire, in 1844. He was a: "Framework Knitter."

Henry married again in the 1880's, after his first Wife died.
This time on the marriage certificate, for name, and occupation of Father he had written:

"Joseph Ringrose, Circular hand."

So there may be a POSSIBILITY, that your James Slack, could have been baptised under a different name, and may have lied about the name of his Father, on the marriage certificate.

Therefore it could POSSIBLY be the case that Abraham Slack, and James may have been half brothers.

The above is a theory and something to think about regarding James.  :) ;)

Thank you very much.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I've thought of another possibility regarding the Father of James Slack:
He could have been using a "Nickname/ shortened" first name for his father.
He could also have been using his Father's middle name.

You state that you have James marriage certificate.

For the occupation of his Father, what was written on the Certificate please?
Does it state that his Father was deceased?
Were there any witnesses to the wedding?

Thank you.  :)