Author Topic: finding burial place of gt grandfather  (Read 3016 times)

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding burial place of gt grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all your information regarding the burial place of James Slack.  I am getting the feeling that he could have been either buried in or around Leek Staffs or Hyde Cheshire.   As you know on the census' it states that he was born in Norbury Staffs, which could have been Knotbury as it is very close to Wildborclough, and as to the Hyde connection, some of the Slack family lived in the area including his son.  The address in Hyde was Ivy Cottage Joel Lane Hyde Cheshire.  Perhaps he is buried in that area, although his wife Margaret who died in 1904, and died at her son's address in Hyde, is buried in Sutton Macclesfield .    All very mysterious.  Looking through all the searches, I can see that there are loads of James Slacks' in the winsford area, but I don't think these are connected.  The only problem I have, is that there are a lots of James Slacks' in the Sutton Macclesfield area as well.  I will have to get back to drawing board I think  Thanks everyone.
LATHAM Dudley Staffs.Gloucester
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire
SLACK Sutton Macclesfield

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone who has searched for me in looking for James Slack's burial place (1824-1898).  I am now going to concentrate on the Longnor Staffs area, and maybe try and get to that area to search.   Thanks again everyone, for all your work, I will keep on trying to find where he is buried and indeed his true place of birth.    A few people have suggested that Abraham Slack is his brother, and I am also thinking along those lines.   I have found out  that quite a few of the Slack family moved to the Hyde/Stalybridge in the 1900's, so I wonder if there is a connection there.   Thanks again.     
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for helping in my search.    You wanted to know who was mentioned on the wedding certificate.   James Slack (1824) was 30  when he married Margaret Kemp on the 18th January 1854 .   James 's father was listed also as James and was a labourer.  The witnesses were Henry James Bryan and Thomas Holland.  It does not say that James Snr was dec'd, so he must have still been alive on that date. 
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 November 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
It does not say that James Snr was dec'd, so he must have still been alive on that date.

Sorry, but this statement isn’t correct. There have been many threads on Rootschat on this very subject. It depended upon whether the question ‘is your father still alive?’ was asked of the bride or groom or, if it wasn’t asked, if they actually offered the information.

You cannot say conclusively that the absence of the word ‘deceased’ means that the father was still alive.

Edit: I now realise this point already covered in Carols reply #17
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
New thread, asking for the same information about James's birth and burial.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782444.msg6370382#msg6370382
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:35 GMT (UK) »
There appear to be a number of possibilities for James' burial site in Sutton.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/CHS/sutton1
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chestnut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone with all the advice  I have now found out that James Slack (1823/24)  is buried in Sutton Churchyard Macclesfield .  Unfortunately when he died on the 13th January 1898 the incumbent forgot to write down the grave number, so although I know he is there I don't know which grave he is in.   Thanks again to everyone. 
SMITHSON Bury Lancashire