Author Topic: William Cocking and his son William Cocking marriages  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Cocking and his son William Cocking marriages
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 December 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You might have found this since October, but just in case :)

The British Army Service Records for William Smith COCKING include the information that he joined in Agra on 30th October 1880 at 11 o'clock am.  He says he was born in Chelmsford Essxex and is 14 years and 6 months old but he would only have been about 13 1/2?

It shows his next of kin as father William with Regt, then presumably at a later date written in red it gives the address of 1 Hopewell Terr, Matlock Bank, Derby, which I think is where his father William b.1843 is living in 1901  :)

I wonder if the maiden name of PRINCE on the GRO site could be a mistranscription of PRIME and that he was born before their marriage? I think the only option would be to get the birth cert. to be sure.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 December 17 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I had not found the military records as I do not know where to obtain them, but this helps so very much.  William retired to Derbyshire, so William Smith Cocking is his missing son! Thank you.  I have come across some errors on the GRO site and try to report them as and when I come across them, so Prime being read as Prince is understandable.  I had moved on to obsess on another line so will get back onto William Smith Cocking now.  Thank you again x
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 December 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I found the "British Army Service Records" at findmypast, it is a pay per view site but they have a free 14 day trial,

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/take-a-free-trial

Just don't forget to cancel it, here is the info page about how to do that, I found it all too easy to forget about it   :o

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/answer/how-do-i-cancel-my-free-trial

Hope this helps  :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CJ

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 17 16:57 GMT (UK) »
thank you Daisy x
Aaron, Bailey, Beckett, Blanchard, Bradley, Bromham, Brook, Butler, Carter, Clarkson, Cox, Crowther, Dewhirst, Dixon, Emmott, Fell, Field, Galleymore, Goddard, Harrison, Hayes, Hensby, Hillas, Hodgson, Hollings, Hutchinson, Jolly, Knowles, Lightowler, Mandeville, Marshall, Mitchell, Moulds, Murgatroyd, Oldfield, Panter, Parrott, Platt, Rawlings/Rawlins (and other spellings!), Richardson, Scott, Smith, Steele, Taylor, Tee, Thompson, Thornton, Thorp, Waterhouse, Watson, Wing, Woodend