Author Topic: Passengers on board SS Athenian1884 & 1892  (Read 976 times)

Offline Ernest Floyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Passengers on board SS Athenian1884 & 1892
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
Alfred E Floyd (1846) sailed for Cape Town from Southampton Are any of his family with him; his wife Blanche(1845) & a daughter Elizabeth(1872)? Again sailed for Cape Town in 1892; this time with a daughter Miss Floyd (1874). Elizabeth returned to England as Mrs Coles from where she wrote a letter from an address in Brixton dated February 1894. She returned to SA where she died in 1932. Could she have been with her brother & sister Ernest Charles (1881) and Sarah (1883) on board SS Tartar departing S'hampton 16 January 1897?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers on board SS Athenian1884 & 1892
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Ernest Floyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response. I started the relevant tree in geni; I am trying to ascertain the movements of my family, hence this Post.
Kind regards
Ernest

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
Could she have been with her brother & sister Ernest Charles (1881) and Sarah (1883) on board SS Tartar departing S'hampton 16 January 1897?

Master ECG Floyd age 14 and Miss S Floyd, age 12, don't appear to be traveling with anyone. The passengers are listed alphabetically, so perhaps an unknown surname is traveling with them.  There are no Coles or other Floyds that I could see.

Do you have the first name for Elizabeth Coles' husband (to help eliminate all the Elizabeth Coles sailing to the Cape)?

Offline Ernest Floyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, bbart for your help. Elizabeth Sarah Floyd was married to Albert Charles Coles in Kimberley, 1889. Her father Alfred Edward died in Kimberley in 1893. She must have gone back to London from where she wrote a letter to the Master of the Supreme Court in Cape Town to request the inheritance of the younger minor children. Both Elizabeth and Albert Coles died in South Africa.
I look forward to what you canget
Best regards
Ernest

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ernest

I tried every variation of names/initials for Elizabeth Coles on a passenger list and not one  was a close fit.  There were a lot of Mrs. Coles with no age given, but not around the right time frame.

But, I'm about to open a new mystery for you.  I was looking for anything on the family to find other surnames that might have been accompanying ECG Floyd and Miss S Floyd on that 1897 voyage mentioned earlier.  I assumed that the Miss S Floyd was Sarah Ann, but..... it can't be.  Although I'm sure you've seen the familysearch documents on the family, I will include the links in my explanation to save you looking everything up again.

When daughter Jane (Anderson) filled out Alfred Edward Floyd's death registration on 17 Aug 1893, she didn't name the new wife, nor put Alfred Jr in the list of children:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BG-8Q8P-6?i=487&cc=2521616
She does state that her sister Elizabeth, as well as all the other siblings are in London. She does include Sarah Ann.

Skipping ahead a few pages into the probate file, daughter Elizabeth is filling out a form on 23 Feb 1894, where she lists all her father's children, including her half brother Alfred. The form states that all children are to be listed, and if dead, when.  Take a look at what she puts for Sarah:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BG-8Q8P-P?i=493&cc=2521616
Sarah died "of late 8 months 5 weeks".

So who is the Miss S Floyd age 12 on the boat 3 years later with ECG??  ???

While looking for a death or burial for Sarah Ann, I saw a Sarah Ann Floyd that married a William Nott in South Africa, but she was born in 1853:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS7P-F9G6
To rule out that the age of 75 wasn't a badly written 45, I tracked her and husband William back, and she was born in 1853 in Bristol, married in Clifton 1871, and I double checked by the marriage of her first son, William John Brooks Nott, who married in 1902 at the age of 23.   So there is no way this is "your" Sarah Ann.  However, there is no passenger lists for the Notts either, so there must be gaps, or many missing passenger lists.

Familysearch does not have the death records for South Africa other than the ones included in probate files, but I could not find a death in England for Sarah Ann. 

I can't for the life of me figure out the Miss S Floyd, unless she is a cousin to ECG via a sibling of Alfred Edward Floyd (if he had siblings down there....?)

Good luck!  You have a confusing family to trace!

PS  I did come across this site: http://www.southafricansettlers.com/?p=22586
It just looks like a transcription of the death registration, but you may want to bookmark it for future use.

Offline Ernest Floyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello bbart,
You're so right when you say I have a confusing family to trace! I was fortunate to visit the SA Archives in Cape Town and saw the original documents which I have since found on familysearch and downloaded. What Elizabeth's form says regarding the children is: Sarah Ann 10 (dead Kate 8 months 5 weeks). This child was Katey Jane born 27/11/1887 and died 1/1/1888 in Kimberley. I found this on Baptism Transcripts of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. Sarah Ann, known as Annie, married a J Johnson. I made the mistake of thinking she was the one married to Nott.
I cannot thank you enough for all the work you have done for me and I am grateful.
The hunt continues!!
Best regards
Ernest

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Ooh... Kate! I read it wrong, so sorry,! At least there is no mysterious Miss S sailing around then!

If I ever see any Lloyds/Coles sailing around, I shall let you know!

In your opening post, you asked if Alfred E Lloyd had any family traveling with him in 1884.  I just found another site that is slowly transcribing passenger lists:
 http://www.eggsa.org/cgi-bin/dosearchArrivals.pl

If you enter surname Floyd, and nothing else, his 1884 listing comes up.  If you next click on the box under his listing that says "see Mr. A. Floyd in context of list", you will see the people above and below him on the list, and they aren't family.

Offline Ernest Floyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you again; it is people like yourself that make this site such a worthwhile tool. I had a look; find it strange that there are married couples travelling together, yet no wife for poor Alfred. Sarah born in March 1883 was possibly to young to be left without her Mom. Now the possibility arises that Mary Blanche and daughter Elizabeth set sail a little later,1885/6 which would give her time to conceive the next child -the late Kate to be born late November 1887. Can't wait for the eggsa site to progress.
 The surname is Floyd not Lloyd. Thanks a million!