Author Topic: Soldier in Royal Garrison Artillery  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Snudge21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier in Royal Garrison Artillery
« on: Wednesday 18 October 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information relating to a Hugh John McGaffin, born 15th April 1881 in County Down, who served in the Royal Garrison Artillery with the rank of Bdr, which I think means Bombardier, regimental number 277198. There was also something else listed on the medal role SR/2198.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier in Royal Garrison Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, his Medal Index Card shows the number 277198, and also above that the number you stated,
SR/2198, I think this may mean "Special Reserve", he may have served previously  :-\
I'm sure someone will be along to help.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Frank is right, the SR indicates Special Reserve.  Long Long Trail explains this well here;
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/
If your man was living in Ireland then, (next to last sentence of paragraph 2) then he was a pre-war part time soldier, called up in 1914.
The remainder, his other number and the "Base Details" on the medal roll basically tell us that we will never find out which unit(s) of the RGA he served in overseas.  Checking the units (where shown) of other SR numbers that appear to be in the same series gives a variety of units and no clues at all.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:08 BST (UK) »

There is a record of militia service in the West of Scotland Artillery (Militia) of a Hugh John McGaffin born near Newry Co Down age 19 years 11 months joining for a six year term in Glasgow in March 1901.  His father was Robert McGaffin of Belfast.
The 1901 Scotland census has Hugh John McGaffin age 19 in Maryhill Barracks Glasgow born Ireland , a gunner in the "Militia Artillery".  The time frame coincides with him doing his 49 days initial training. He was discharged after his 6 years in Mar 1907 having turned up each year for the obligatory training.

This service would pre-date signing up again as a special reservist

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia