Author Topic: Major & Mary Smith of Stamford lincs  (Read 2220 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Major & Mary Smith of Stamford lincs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
I noticed that Charles settled in the area near Peterborough - Sawtry and Whittlesea - and married in Farcet - https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817e48ce93790eb7fc03cbb?search_id=59e8c6b8f4040b1c49f55a95&ucf=false

I imagine his father was buried in the area which, if it can be found, might help with a birth date.

There were earlier Major Smiths in Stamford but but I can't find one for Charles's father.

David

Offline Kentartertons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 October 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone so far. I found the Boswells reference on georgianera.wordpress.com searched under major Smith.
Very difficult tracing this branch as there were no records kept in the family of any names. Impressed I'd got this far back so thank you all again. Looks like major Smith was a popular name in the late 1600s and 1700s in this part of the country.

Offline Dondonsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi my GGG grandfather was actually Charles Augustus Smith, and I too saw it on Georgiana press which had an article called gypsy romance all about Major and Mary Boswell, I contacted the author and she said they were quite sure that Major and Mary Smith were one and same as Boswell, I have been trying to find out as well for over a year, I do know that Charles sons were Tinsmiths and my family down the line were too which is uncanny lol, my GG grandfather was Joseph Smith moved to Worksop Notts at some point to become a miner.....I wish I could find out if Charles was a Boswell there is just no evidence anywhere, strange thing is Major Boswell was famous fiddler and my dad said his dad had a fiddle but never played maybe just coincidence lol, xx