Author Topic: William Henry JACKMAN, fisherman of Brixham.  (Read 2975 times)

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry JACKMAN, fisherman of Brixham.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 October 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
Traditionally a boat's officers were the master, boatswain, carpenter and cook.

Thanks.....
WHJ had been Master at the time of the 1881 census, so "Bo'Sn" was a retrograde step.

MODIFY: Turns out it was not just an average fishing trip but a voyage to Newfoundland with a cargo of limestone!  :'(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 October 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Henry Jackman, mariner, married Catherine Gibbs Atkinson 31/3/1832 All Saints, Brixham.  Besides William Henry b.1839 and Louisa ca.1843 they appear to have 2 earlier children with the same names.   As already mentioned, a William Henry bp.25/1/1835 (who must have died 1835-1839) and, I believe, a Louisa bp.1/1/1837 (mothers name transcribed as Caroline??) buried 14/7/1840 Brixham.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
Henry Jackman, mariner, married Catherine Gibbs Atkinson 31/3/1832 All Saints, Brixham.  Besides William Henry b.1839 and Louisa ca.1843 they appear to have 2 earlier children with the same names.   As already mentioned, a William Henry bp.25/1/1835 (who must have died 1835-1839) and, I believe, a Louisa bp.1/1/1837 (mothers name transcribed as Caroline??) buried 14/7/1840 Brixham.
Annette

Thank you Annette.
My research centered around Susan Ann, the second wife of Wm H Jackman, bap: 1839, however, you raise an interesting point about his mother's  name, which I believe may have been Caroline not Catherine. I have not seen an image of that marriage entry.... don't know how clear it is?

The bap register page for Wm H 1839, is a total mess, though it does give actual birth dates, so I can well imagine mother's name being wrong there, and she is transcribed in at lest one census on familysearch as Caroline, which makes sense to me, given the baptism "Caroline Louisa" of a daughter to Wm & Susan in 1873.

Thank you for your interest.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Bgolding

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
So according to some of my mother's research a while ago I Benjamin golding am a relative of the jackmans...     this is all so interesting!

Online Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
So according to some of my mother's research a while ago I Benjamin golding am a relative of the jackmans...     this is all so interesting!

Hello Benjamin, and welcome to Rootschat.
Would you like to say in what way you are a relative of the Jackmans?
I am all agog!  :D
When you have made 3 posts you will be able to make private messages (pm), so please do persevere.