Author Topic: Do I have the right death certificate for Martha Strevens?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do I have the right death certificate for Martha Strevens?
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
I have been researching a Martha Strevens. She was baptized as Mary Bell May 6, 1860 and lived with her grandparents Joseph and Maria Bell for over 10 years in Durham.  In the 1881 Census she had moved to London where she was living with a step-sister Elizabeth Maria Hammond.  In 1882 she married a Henry Harry Harrold in St Saviour's Church, Upper Chelsea.  They had 2 children but sadly they died.  Henry died in 1887.  On November 28, 1897 Martha married a George Strevens, a 50 year old Piano Maker.  In the 1901 Census George and Martha are living in the St Pancras Parish, London.  Martha's step sister Rosa is also living with them.

In the 1911 Census Martha is not with George but is an inmate in the London County Lunatic Asylum Hanwell.  She is listed as married.  George in the meantime has remarried, a Charlotte Ryzewski (in 1908).  In the 1911 Census he is with Charlotte living in Islington, London.

There is also an entry in Ancestry on the UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912 for a Martha Strevens with a release date in 1913.  Although there is an asylum mentioned I am not able to work out what is written.

I have been trying to find a death for Martha and have just received a certificate for a Martha Strivens. Her death was registered 11 March 1917 in Watford.  The certificate states that she died in the Leavesden Asylum, Watford.  Her age is 53 years and it also mentions St Pancras Parish and that she is married.

Have I the correct death record for Martha?

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have the right death certificate for Martha Strevens?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
I think the register states discharge in 1913 to 'Hanwell'.

The St Pancras Workhouse register 1912 - 1914 give a Martha Strivens M b 1863 husband Geo u/k [whereabouts unknown?] admitted from Cardiff Mental Hospital.  If she & George were living in St Pancras in the 1901, this is may be her.

You may only be able to say it is LIKELY the death certificate is hers. Have you tried to locate the records of Leavesden Asylum?
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/MAB-Leavesden/

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
As a by the way, if she died at Hanwell, her death would have been recorded as either Brentford or Uxbridge district, can never remember which one  ::) .

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Think it's Brentford Dawn. My g grandfather's death [who had an umbrella shop in Hanwell] is registered in Brentford.

So would need to find a transfer from Hanwell to Leavensden.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
but Hanwell Asylum was considered to be at Norwood which is Uxbridge  :-\

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
just throwing this into the mix, Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum, also in the geographical area, is recorded as Barnet district.

I've got a patient there from St Marylebone parish in the 1850's.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Ohh, complicated then  ::).

Will wait till Kaybron comes back before researching further.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 October 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies.  Josey I sent an email last night re locating the records for Leavesden and they are at the LMA.  I will post a more detailed response later as I'm off to work in about 20 minutes.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 October 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have managed to find Martha's records in the London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records on Ancestry.  I looked at the Camden, St Pancras Register of Lunatics and found that there are records for Martha and that she was transferred to the County Asylum Hanwell on 29 August 1901. The records state her husband's name as George and that he is a piano maker.  In the 1911 Census Martha was in this Asylum.

I feel as if I am making some progress.  My next step would be to find out where the County Asylum Hanwell records are kept and inquire about Martha.

If Martha Strivens death certificate mentions St Pancras does this strengthen the possibility that I have the correct certificate?