Author Topic: Do I have the right death certificate for Martha Strevens?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have the right death certificate for Martha Strevens?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 October 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
 A little added info
Hanwell Asylum was later re named ST Bernards when the old wooden wards where knocked down the original outer wall was kept & a housing estate built inside the keeping of the walls where for police to keep control in the event of anymore riots . 
 The old part from 1911 era is now part of the Ealing hospital grounds with some of the original buildings entrance gate , Church, Dorms & markings where the marina was where the boatmen delivered coal & took away the products grown by the inmates still at the  moment standing but under threat in the new building program. A  new high security unit looking more like a prison has been built there as well. My Grandad who was a Canal Boatman used to tell of the inmates shouting at them through the bared windows  as they delivered & unloaded the boats .

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 October 17 10:02 BST (UK) »
That's interesting; thanks, Jane.

Kaybron - all heading in the right direction  ;). Easy to mishear or misread Screvens to Scrivens. The Hanwell records should add enough confirmatory evidence. 
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 October 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jane and Josey for your replies.

Are the Hanwell Asylum records at the LMA?

Hopefully I will be able to have the Hanwell records and the Leavesden records accessed at the same time.

I live in Australia and hire a private researcher to find records for me.  I just contact him when I need records with the relevant details and he finds this for me.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 October 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
The LMA holds the records for Hanwell.

This is the link for the records on the Ntional Archives website as the LMA catalogue links expire.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/64bbd4e5-0c07-448c-879c-e02ccc016b0d

This is the link for Leavesden,

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=76&hospital=leavesden&town=&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

I've done look-ups in the past for people here.

The records are quite harrowing to read once you've established what was wrong with the patient.

Just looking at your earlier posts, the date of death is 1917, records are usually closed for 100 years, not just from the date of death but also the last entry in the book you are looking at. You may have to provide your researcher with the death cert to get access which might also have to be supervised because of the dates.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 October 17 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you dawnsh.  I was aware the records were closed for 100 years but assumed this was from the date of death. I can now understand why there would be supervision when personally looking through the records as there would be patient material that did not fit within the 100 years.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
have a look at the Hanwell catalogue pdf in the LMA search facility, click on the catalogue tab when you have the search results.

The catalogue shows which books are open and closed.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, there is no ‘supervised access’ at LMA. Either the records are open and there is full public access, or the records are closed and the archive staff may agree to extract the information for you (or for your researcher). For doing this they normally charge their standard fee of £80/hr pro rata.