Author Topic: Haslanhill(?) and Waterbeck in Parish of Canonbie  (Read 928 times)

Offline David Lea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haslanhill(?) and Waterbeck in Parish of Canonbie
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon

I wonder if anyone with local knowledge of the Canonbie area can assist me please?

I'm researching my 'Wilson' and 'Graham' family from this area (and nearby Middlebie). On a birth certificate for George Wilson (son of George Wilson and Eliza Graham) in 1871, it lists his place of birth as what looks like, 'Haslanhill' in Parish of Canonbie. I can't find any trace of this place?? Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly or it is so small, it doesn't show up on any maps? Has anybody heard of this place?

George and Eliza would appear to have been married in 1847 at Waterbeck in 1847, although I can't find any parish records for here. On the birth certificate for one of their other children however, it stated they were married in 1848 at Middlebie, but again, I can't find any trace of their marriage here. Could anyone offer any ideas for sources of further research for their marriage? I've tried Scotlandspeople with no success.

Many thanks in anticipation.

David

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Haslanhill(?) and Waterbeck in Parish of Canonbie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David ,

On the 1861 Census there is a Hairlawhill , Canonbie  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 October 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Also, in the 1871 census for Canonbie, George and Eliza are found at Hairlaw Garden. This is probably a variation of Harelaw. Harelawhill is about 3 to 4 miles north east of Canonbie along the B6357 and B6318 roads.

Waterbeck is in Middlebie parish, as you say, but Family Search indicates that there are no established church marriage records after 1767. There is a secession church at Waterbeck but no indication as to where these records. There seem to be no surviving established kirk session records after 1843.

And I know your frustration, as many of my lot are from round that way.

Regards
Ian
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline David Lea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev and Ian for your replies.

I knew of the Hairlaw Garden link to the Wilson family but hadn't made the connection with that and the word on the birth record but when I re-look at it, I agree, it is most likely another variation of this place name.

As for Waterbeck, yes, it is frustrating that it appears that there aren't any records for this parish for the years that I'm interested in... ah well...

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

David