Author Topic: Simnel Street Southampton in the 1871 Census & Pepper St.today ?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simnel Street Southampton in the 1871 Census & Pepper St.today ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Simnel Street was of a bad reputation with over crowded tenements, poor sanitation and often the lowly washerwomen engaging in prostitution to make money for feeding starving kids. One such lady Ellen Wren died in these conditions and such were the smells of blocked sanitation that her decomposing was not found until her landlord started to chase for unpaid rent for her room. Ellen had had during her lifetime several brushes with the law including assault and attempted robbery.

The local newspaper and some liberal minded residents began raising questions as to how people could be forced to live in such conditions. Ellen was buried with several other bodies in an unmarked pauper's grave at Southampton [Old] Cemetery. Her death and the shocking over crowded housing and the public's reaction to the case forced the council to demolish some housing and to begin to build some social housing - one of the earliest schemes in the country. Ellen Wren is now part of Southampton lore as her death highlighted the need for change and started council housing in Southampton.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
There is an article on the said street in the Southampton Daily Echo dated April 2013 link attached.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage/archives/10340856.Southampton_s_dark_and_dangerous_back_street/

ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Genevieve Bailey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 October 17 00:13 BST (UK) »
I moved into the pub "The Queen" when I was 5 years old, sold it when I was 29, now I am 63. The pub is now The Titanic. It is on the corner Simnel St and Bugle St. As you said 1871 it was on the corner of Simnel St and Pepper Alley. The landlord then was Maurice Batchelor. If you go to youtube type in Genevieve Bailey The Grand Tour you will see I did a TV prog on Southampton and off course Simnel St and the pub.