Author Topic: Moray House  (Read 897 times)

Offline david171

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moray House
« on: Thursday 19 October 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, My grandmother attended Moray House for teacher training around 100 years ago. I don’t know the exact dates, but she was born in 1893 and was teaching in the 1920s. Does anyone know if a list of those who qualified/ graduated might still exist, and if so how that information might be accessed? Based on the above, I would estimate that she probably completed her studies around the period 1914-15, though I could be a year or two out. Thanks in advance for any information or advice. David.  :)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Moray House
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Moray House is now part of the University of Edinburgh. They might have some old records.

Early in the 20th century, my mother also attended Moray House but it was a school then.
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
I used to manage Moray House Halls of Residence in the 80's. They were originally built before WW1 to House female students attending Moray House and Edinburgh University. I know there was a significant amount of archive material held in the halls ( photos, yearly reports etc) which would have gone to the university when the halls closed around 1997. The campus was sold to a developer and the old buildings converted into flats. I have attached a photo of Carlyle/Darroch halls which were the first two built. Similar buildings were later put up on the other three sides of the quad. The rooms originally had coal fires and the students were given an allowance of coal every week..
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline david171

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the replies, and I will try contacting Edinburgh University. Very interesting information about the Halls of Residence. I assume my gran would have been a residential student, since her home had been in Sauchie. Thanks again, David.