Author Topic: South African help  (Read 3168 times)

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South African help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 October 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Sitting here at home in my den listing to the beautiful piano music of my wife's performance group practicing, I began fiddling with your "Deceased Estates." The other day I followed your advice and moved the picture in all directions and got only a brown background. Today I notice a little button arrow and went from 33-38. My God, what a find!  It has everything except the cause of death and burial address.  Many thanks. And, it clearly cites him as a marine engineer.
I hate my inner suspicion, I truly do, but Agatha Christi would love Fanny with 3 marriages, each ending in a few years with spousal death and 1 with a divorce settlement. Do you know of anyone getting married who at the wedding time takes out some life insurance policies, as did Wm. H.? Don't people wait a bit? The 1906 L900 today equals about US$2 million.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 October 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
Suspicious Minds - seems more appropriate!  Now you can page through the Civil death records looking for the Civil Death Notice - that should give you the Cause of Death - pick the 2nd film with 1906 DN's and start from about image 300 or where you find the October Death Notices - there are up to 3 DN's on each page so keep scrolling up and down
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
God, G., I feel like I've run a marathon. How wonderful after decades of ignorance to use your link to find the end of my granduncle. Nephritis. He was #418. After one day of eye strain, I realized that the deaths are registered by district. Day 2 I began at the end of the Umlazi District, not Durban but in Durban, and there he was #44 out of 46 the year, helter skelter.
Kidney disease is no stranger to that family. Wm. H's brother will die of cancer of the kidneys and his first son will too. At 85 I will hold my breathe. Many, many thanks.
Now I'll try to find his gravesite, if the 3 cemeteries offer to help.   JIM

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
I'm curious, G. Do you live in South Africa?

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
Not any more am now based in Australia but am doing my bit for SA Genealogy through indexing records for familysearch.org

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: South African help/ G
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I have another question about William Horace Wickens that you so kindly helped me uncover. I've been searching for his remains: 3 cemeteries in Durban and Findagrave .com with no luck. I wondered about cremation and ashes scattered or whatever. Are there records of cremations? Did the colonial government record such things, say for purposes of taxation? If so, are they digitalized?

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:34 GMT (UK) »
There are Gravestone Pics eggsa.org - don't see one for your William - unfortunately there has been a lot of vandalism of cemeteries in SA so you may not find a record. You may need to give up on this one - or just occasionally check back on eggsa.org as it is an on-going project to record the stones across all of South Africa's grave yards

Offline boscoe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 November 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I've had eye surgery, so delayed this reply of thanks for your kind help.

Offline Robyn Laing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I have a copy of the latest version of the Cemetery Project CD from the South African Genealogical Society (it's an ongoing project to transcribe and document all graves in South Africa). Luckily they have done a lot of transcribing of the graves in the Durban area.

Here's the entry for the fellow you are seeking - he is buried in the West Street Cemetery, in the centre of Durban (the biggest of the "old" Durban cemeteries):

"Wickens, William Horace
Born:
Died:
Buried: West St Cemetery - Register, Durban, District Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, RSA
Note: William Horace Wickens. Died aged 37 yrs. Buried 1906/03/15. Portion Church of England; Grave no 7; Block 12. "

Other "Wickens" folks buried in the same cemetery are:
"Wickens, Arthur Thomas
Born:
Died:
Buried: West St Cemetery - Register, Durban, District Durban, Kwazulu-Natal, RSA
Note: Arthur Thomas Wickens. Died aged 80 yrs. Buried 1950/11/04. Portion Church of England; Grave no 45; Block 26. "

"Wickens, Edith
Born:
Died:
Note: Edith Wickens. Died aged 59 yrs. Buried 1932/06/02. Portion Church of England; Grave no 45; Block 26. "

"Wickens, F E
Born:
Died:
Note: F E Wickens. Died aged 65 yrs. Buried 1926/01/25. Portion Church of England; Grave no 7; Block 12. "

"Wickens, Winnifred May
Born:
Died:
Note: Winnifred May Wickens. Died aged 2 mths. Buried 1914/08/07. Portion Church of England; Grave no 45; Block 26. "

Don't know the specific relationships involved, but where one or more people are buried in the same grave that usually means they are related (spouses or parent-children or siblings of each other).

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Robyn