Author Topic: William WOODBURN Fenwick  (Read 2726 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William WOODBURN Fenwick
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
You might like to look at the paternity cases on Scottish Indexes. There is one for an Elizabeth Woodburn of Waterside Henwick (meant to be Fenwick?) pursuing Adam Dalglish, Farmer, Ryland, Avondale. Child born 1850. Decree year 1852. Court Hamilton.

William

Looks good William that is where they are on the 1851 census Waterside  :)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 October 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Have modified my previous post,Rosie. The defender was indeed Andrew Dalglish which matches the birth you found.

There is a possible candidate for Andrew b Galston 1820 in the 1861 census but I cannot see him in the 1851 census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 October 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Re the 1861 census for William Woodburn cannot see a reference to Janet being his mother.

East Shaw St, Kilmarnock
Robert Woodburn 70
Janet wife 63
Janet dau 39
William grandson 10

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
Clearly, the man who died in Michigan, 1904 is the one born to Andrew Dalgleish and Elizabeth Woodburn (same birthdate).

The baptism clearly says he was 'Natural' son so parents not married.   Often children born illegitimately in Scotland grow up with their fathers surname and explains why William is Dalgleish in 1851 census.   However, since there was clearly a paternity issue with the father Andrew Dalgleish it was reasonable for him to grow up with his mothers name of Woodburn.

As has already been stated, his mother Elizabeth married a Thomas Gilmour 26/3/1860 Fenwick and agree the 1861 Census doesn't state this his mother was named Janet - she was the only unmarried daughter living at home in 1861 but that doesn't make her the mother of William Woodburn, grandson to Robert and Janet.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:30 BST (UK) »
Clearly, the man who died in Michigan, 1904 is the one born to Andrew Dalgleish and Elizabeth Woodburn (same birthdate).

Yes would say the same person Most probably William Woodburn was brought up with his grandparent's ..He does not appear with Elizabeth and Thomas Gilmour in any other census records

Rosie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
Death  for Elizabeth Gilmour 15 Sept 1906 Bruce, Macomb Co. Michigan Parents Robt Woodburn and Jannette Mitchell (born 1826 Scotland)

William

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Death  for Elizabeth Gilmour 15 Sept 1906 Bruce, Macomb Co. Michigan Parents Robt Woodburn and Jannette Mitchell (born 1826 Scotland)

William

Information on post 5  :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
You can see the grave stone for William Woodburn in Scotch Settlement Cemetery Almont Lapeer County Michigan also Elizabeth Gilmour
www.findagrave,com

Rosie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rosie! But can confirm parents as Robert Woodburn and Janet Mitchell (ancy.tree has cropped image of marriage to Thomas Gilmour).

William