Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople: Statuatory Registers - Deaths  (Read 1140 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ScotlandsPeople: Statuatory Registers - Deaths
« on: Friday 20 October 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for some early records up to about 1870 and just browsing the index on the off chance I will spot a pattern or something.

I've noticed that the records have aged at death and MMN or --- or both spaces are blank.  If there's no other details does that mean this information (age and MMN) is not in the register, or just that it hasn't been indexed yet?  I'd have thought that if the informant wasn't certain of the deceased's age they'd be asked for an approximate age.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople: Statuatory Registers - Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 17 11:11 BST (UK) »
See

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-deaths

They weren't included in the index but are there  when given.

Gadget

Added -

Mother’s maiden surname - this wasn't included in the statutory index of deaths until 1974. The information is being added retrospectively starting with the early years although you may find it in some later entries as a result of individual record updates. If you enter a name in this field and the information hasn't been included in the index the record will not be found.

Age at death - not included in some 1855-1865 index entries, where it is shown as 'U', but is being added retrospectively
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks gadget.  So hopefully the details are yet to be added to the index, but are on the original record.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Yes - the info seems to suggest that whatever is on the original record about MMN and age and is not on the earlier indexes will be indexed retrospectively.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople: Statutory Registers - Deaths
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
One oddity about the later records is that MMN isn't included in the death indexes from 1974 if the deceased was born illegitimate.

MMN and age were not indexed in the old handwritten books, but the information is included in the originals from 1 January 1855 onwards.

It's going to take them a long time to re-index everything!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.