Author Topic: Gedmatch admixture question (be nice)  (Read 1674 times)

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedmatch admixture question (be nice)
« on: Friday 20 October 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm very new to Gedmatch, but am beginning to get the hang of it. As far as I am aware, all my ancestry for the past 500 years is British Isles. I've been doing some of the admixture tests, and nearly all the different projects come back with around 3.1% Indian/South Central Asian DNA. The mixed mode population tests normally come back with a significant amount of secondary populations such as Gujarati, Sindh, Cochin Jewish, Kalash and Iraqi Jewish. For those more experienced with Gedmatch, are these results fairly common for anyone with Indo-European ancestry, or am I looking at more specific and recent ancestry? As I say I'm very new to Gedmatch, so apologies if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

Best wishes
Samuel
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch admixture question (be nice)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Samuel

I don't have much more experience than you with Gedmatch but these tests seem to be aimed at telling you where your ancient ancestor groups originally came from.  I had similar results to you.  I tested with Living DNA and they provided a similar "map" of where they think your motherline originated. You can't specifically relate the results to you as they are too far back in time
Any dna matches will be very small to nil after around 7 generations, so I think interesting to do, but don't take too much notice of the results.  Hope this helps.  I'm sure there are experts on this site who could give you an explanation of the technicalities!

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Quite relieved to be honest as I didn't fancy all my research being invalidated by a rogue recent Indian ancestor!
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. Quite relieved to be honest as I didn't fancy all my research being invalidated by a rogue recent Indian ancestor!

The Eurogenes EU Test is the most accurate for me.

What admixture tool are you using?

When I use the global one, I usually get about 3% Asian, quite normal for Europeans, most have 3-5%.
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)