Author Topic: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?  (Read 2922 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
No - just like to have the key to the door or the route around the brick wall.
No matter how mundane or diverse the journey is/has been wonderful.

Like the duck on the lake we don't seem to be going far but we keep paddling.

Keep at it.

Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Not divorce them but wish they didn't disappear from certain census years.  So frustrating !
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 November 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
I just wished they left a paper trail that matches the names they used. I have certificates, census records and baptisms but none of them match up date or name wise. No clear line to follow as each generation throws up another quandary.
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 November 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
No, don't want to divorce any of them....... just need some honesty and clarification on some of them!

The hobby addiction to FH has brought together all of us from all over the world to help one another out, become internet 'friends' so I'm quite happy to still battle with my brick walls!

I've grown quite fond of the ones who are making going back further more elusive and if I swapped them for others they might come with harder less interesting problems!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The thing is though that more unusual names are often just as difficult to research as there are many variations in the spelling. One of my worst is Illidge in later years, which was Hildige, Hilditch, Ilage etc previously. Not even being able to search on Ill* made it very difficult 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 November 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
8 years ago I found that the reason why my ancestor vanished off UK records after 1891 was he emigrated in April 1892 to join 2 daughters in America who had gone there. I found him on the 1900 US census aged 72 in Pennsylvania. I was so pleased but the downside is, I am no closer to finding his death date as PA registration did not begin until 1906 and he probably died before then. I think I know where he is buried as his daughter bought a plot there but the deeds only give number of burials and name of owner rather than burial registers. One day perhaps, I wish I could divorce his 1900-1905 death date and have him died after 1 Jan 1906 so I could get a death date.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain