Author Topic: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 October 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Regularly ;D
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever want to divorce your ancestors and find an easier lot to research?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Rather than divorce them I'd like to move them to a parish that has records earlier that 1849.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 17 03:51 BST (UK) »
No!!!

I sometimes wish the correct info. was attached to deaths such as maiden names which I have a few with informants being G/sons, Inmate (I think she was actually a sis-in-law), a Nephew (who I can't fit with any of the siblings families), I think he may be a g g/son?, a few who 'acquire' middle names post baptisms/marriages & one of the surnames isn't all that common!

I would have liked a few more middle names, real ones not 'acquired' as I have many families with doubles among siblings such as 2 sisters named Catherine, 2 brothers named John etc.

My g/mother was Maggy-Jane, exactly that on her birth & took an age to find....who would think to put a hyphen in a search  ??? She had 2 sisterS named Margaret born 2 yrs apart, both married in different towns but too many with same name & a surname with variants, not knowing whether they used Margaret or Maggie I have kind of lost them in 1911 (Scotland) as the place of birth isn't indexed only the place where the census was taken  ::)

It is though a great feeling when eventually cracked whether by myself or with help when I can't stand anymore headaches  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 17 04:03 BST (UK) »
NO !

But I would move to Salt Lake City.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
No, not divorce them.  I do get frustrated and want to give them a shake, for example when they are really inconsiderate and die 2 weeks before civil reg is introduced in Scotland.  BUT this hobby wouldn't be as addictive and satisfying if it all came too easy.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
No but I wish I could find out the birthplaces of 3 of my ancestors who were alive and well in the 1841 census in London, Oxford and Essex respectively but God claimed them within 2 and a half years of the 1851 census. And the 3 ancestors all ticked "No" under "Whether born in county of residence". And one of them was James Smith of all names.

On the other hand I managed to recently solve the mystery over Elizabeth Harbord who wed Dennis Helsdon in Norwich in 1752. I finally found who her actual parents were.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
No, but I do wish Mary Walsh and her parents had given us a clue as to where in Ireland the family came from. I wish I'd asked questions before it was too late, I have doubts that my grandmother Smith knew that her grandmother was Irish born.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Rather than divorce them I'd like to move them to a parish that has records earlier that 1849.

Me too, I have lines in Berkshire, Hampshire and Sussex - very little on line as original records. In some ways I am fortunate with researching less common surnames, but the downside is that rare surnames have far more spelling variations than Smith, Brown and Day.
OH has Essex, Herts and Suffolk - took out subs to FindMyPast, Ancestry and SEAX and got several generations back in a few days.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful if some of them had had the foresight to give their children names like Marmaduke or Scholastica. Instead they're all Thomas, Richard, Margaret and Anne.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs