Author Topic: Ancestor joined 8th of Foot 1858  (Read 643 times)

Offline Heather James

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestor joined 8th of Foot 1858
« on: Friday 20 October 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
I've been trying for 3 years to find more info on my great-grandfather William Silvester Wilson. On the Genealogy Just Ask! page, someone was able to find out for me that he signed his Attestation Papers in Cork on 30 January 1858 with the 8th Regiment of Foot, Service Number 368. He served 6 years & 275 days.  During that time he served abroad for 6 years; Gibraltar for 5 years and 12 days, and Malta for 1 year and 43 days. He served until 6 October 1864. He was discharged 7 February 1865 due to chronic bronchitis.  I'm thinking that because he signed in Cork, he was from Scotland and may have returned there after he left the Regiment. His daughter Hannah Isabella Wilson was born in either 1871 or 1874, apparently in Malta although I have no proof of this. (1891 & 1901 England Census show Malta; 1911 Census shows "Unknown" then they emigrated to Canada. I have everything from there on.) It's possible her mother's name was Jane Dade, or it could have been Hannah Isabella, last name unknown. I'm hoping if I can find confirmation of William's service record, that will lead me to something that documents his wife's name, perhaps his child's name, his parents' names... anything !!  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor joined 8th of Foot 1858
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
  The detail comes from his discharge papers which are on Findmypast but they don't have family information.  However, he was in the 2nd Battalion 8th Regiment of Foot who were in Malta in 1864. Edit - see next post  The child does not appear in the army births overseas.

The one piece of info from his record not given to you is that his intended place of residence was Clerkenwell Middlesex where he was born.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
He was born 17 July 1836 to John a victualler of Cable Street Whitechapel and Hannah Wilson and baptised 7 Feb 1837 at the same time as his 3 year older sister Ann. (London baptism records).

MaxD

PS  The fact that he was in Malta in 1864 is not relevant - I mis read the child's birth date

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Heather James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
Wow, MaxD, thank you !!!  This gives me a whole new line to explore.  I'm charging at that brick wall again! 

Heather ;D

Offline Heather James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Oh yes... the whole Malta thing and Hannah Isabella Wilson's birth date being after her father was discharged and left Malta...  Hopefully I'll find the answer to that mystery when I follow up on William's trail.

Offline Heather James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 17 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Just a public THANK YOU to MaxD for emailing me separately and spending many hours gleaning what info he could on my ancestors. There are still mysteries there that may never be solved, but I know a lot more than before.  :) 

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 17 15:00 GMT (UK) »
It was my great pleasure!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk