Author Topic: 1939 confused  (Read 4699 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
1939 confused
« on: Friday 20 October 17 21:03 BST (UK) »

I'm looking for someone whose record should be open as they are over 100 years of age.  However, I believe that the person in question thought that they were born in 1919 and would have probably used that birth year.

I cannot find the person I'm looking for, despite many permutations.  I believe also that they were living alone or possibly in lodgings so I have no other family member or known person to look for. 

Can I still, using the death certificate ask FindMyPast to un-redact the record if I cannot find that person? The blurb on their website says "If you notice an officially closed record in the 1939 Register that you believe should be open, you may be able to request it be opened".  Can't do that if you can't find them in the first place!
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 confused
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
They are not going to be in the 1939 register if serving in the forces.

Is that a possibility?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:17 BST (UK) »

No, Pauline, this is a lady, who subsequently had three husbands but who at the time, I believe, was working and living alone in the London area.
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

You are saying that they were born 1819?

Their birth date on the register will(?) be recorded as "nn xxx 19" [ dropping the century ] ?
"Clarifying" = if born 1801 = "nn xxx 01"  resulting in "1901" as the birth year NOT 1801

Similar problem with the "2000 bug" that had the computer industry running around like headless chickens for best part of 30 years 1975->2005.

OR NOT?  ;D
Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:31 BST (UK) »

I have resigned myself to not finding this lady, what I do want to know is, given that I know all three subsequent husbands names and surnames, years of marriage, and I have her death certificate; can and how do I ask FindMyPast to find and un-redact her record.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Quite regularly when looking at 1939 records, a pop-up message appears asking if you want help, or to chat. You could try that?

Do you have an idea where she was living? You can browse the records, in case the transcription is wrong.   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:42 BST (UK) »

Thanks, Deirdre784 - I havn't seen the 'help, chat, thingy for a while but I will try that if and when.

Believe me I have tried just about every which way to find her.  I do believe that she is redacted because of the year of birth she was using, she didn't die until 2012 so her record won't have been updated.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
Suey, you can only have an entry opened if you can find it in the first place,for example someone within a family whom you know/or have the death cert for.

They cannot find someone without you telling them what page and line number they are on.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Have you thought of contacting them via their Facebook page and mentioning the problem you are having they may be able to give you some more tips or advice as to what to do next.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk