Author Topic: 1939 confused  (Read 4676 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 confused
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Have you considered giving us her name - OK, we can't give you the full information as that is not allowed, but we might be able to point you in the right direction.  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
I can't find my dad's eldest brother anywhere on the 1939 census, even though the rest of the family is there, even my dad's eldest brother's wife to be is on the census.  However, I understand that the 1939 census is only England and Wales, so if he was anywhere else, Isle of Man, Scotland, etc. he won't be on the census.  Doesn't really matter as he was on the 1911 census with his eldest sister and both parents, I have his marriage and I know where he was from his marriage onwards until his death.  If only the 1939 census had been available before my dad died, I could just have asked him where his brother was.  He was a professional musician at the time so could have been anywhere ::)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
I have my great grandmother hop picking with her sister in law but have yet to find my great grandfather. He was retired so should be on the census. I know where they were living but he is not there so he remains my mystery.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find m uncle but as I had his date of birth I just searched on that then went through all the entries with the correct first letter of his surname and found him. The transcription of both his names were weird but when I looked at the actual entry it was clearly the name I was looking for.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
I'll try looking for my uncle with his dob.  If that doesn't work then he was out of the country.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
I had terrrible trouble finding my grandad. His DOB was 2 years out.He wasn't at home but staying nearby as he had already signed up for the Territorial Army.

His christian name was entered correctly,but his surname which should have been Worth was Wo???
I didn't think it was too difficult to read,but of course I knew what it should say  ;D

So I tried him with just a christian name and a date of birth but no year,and eventually found him.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 October 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
I tried looking for my great aunt. Strangely hers is locked even though she died in 1991, yet my grandma who was younger and died in 1998 isn't.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:58 BST (UK) »

Thanks, Deirdre784 - I havn't seen the 'help, chat, thingy for a while but I will try that if and when.

Believe me I have tried just about every which way to find her.  I do believe that she is redacted because of the year of birth she was using, she didn't die until 2012 so her record won't have been updated.

As you don't know where she was living the easiest way would be to make a Freedom of Information request to the National Archives, Kew.
It costs £28.02p but you will get your answer within 20 days.

If you look at the FoI request form an address is not a Mandatory Field.
Fill in the form with the details you know add an image of her Death Certificate and sit back and wait.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:48 BST (UK) »

Thanks, Deirdre784 - I havn't seen the 'help, chat, thingy for a while but I will try that if and when.

Believe me I have tried just about every which way to find her.  I do believe that she is redacted because of the year of birth she was using, she didn't die until 2012 so her record won't have been updated.

As you don't know where she was living the easiest way would be to make a Freedom of Information request to the National Archives, Kew.
It costs £28.02p but you will get your answer within 20 days.

If you look at the FoI request form an address is not a Mandatory Field.
Fill in the form with the details you know add an image of her Death Certificate and sit back and wait.
Cheers
Guy

Thanks to everyone who has replied, but especially Guy I will seriously consider the expenditure, mainly because it's one of those that keeps me awake at night  ;D

Is that form on the National Archives website?  I'm not very good at navigating them but in the meantime will go and look...

Thanks again

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins