Author Topic: 1939 confused  (Read 4698 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 confused
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 December 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
My mothers was not updated from her maiden name when she married my father, or on the numerous occasions she was in hospital.  Some obviously slipped through the net  :)
It's possible that the married name was written in the area to the right, where we can't see. My mum's entry also showed no sign of a married name when I found it (temporarily) unredacted.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 December 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I expect you had to let the authorities know.

My mum's new ID card - with her married surname and new signature - is dated 16 April (a month after marriage).

The note on the Register was dated 17 April.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 December 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
My mothers was not updated from her maiden name when she married my father, or on the numerous occasions she was in hospital.  Some obviously slipped through the net  :)
It's possible that the married name was written in the area to the right, where we can't see. My mum's entry also showed no sign of a married name when I found it (temporarily) unredacted.

There is no evidence that there is any alteration to this record, quite a lot of the right hand page is visible.  Her birth date and part of her first name are illegible though as they are covered in sellotape  ::) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very surprised if you can see beyond the first column of the right hand page. Often even that column is truncated.
That first column is usually used for war service, such as ARP volunteers. The rest of the page dealt with things we are not allowed to see, supposedly health-related.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 23 December 17 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Regardless of anything that 'could' be on the next page her name has not been changed  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk