Author Topic: Possible 1933 Conwy Trip?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Possible 1933 Conwy Trip?
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
         About three weeks ago I posted a photo that you all were able to identify as taken at Conwy Castle. I think the attached picture is from the same trip and may be near. I can see what looks like a train on the left and hills and structures in the background. My mother is in the photo and the other woman looks to be the woman from the previously posted photo. It makes it likely that the pictures were taken on the same trip. I'm still trying to ID the unknown lady, so isolating locations is helpful.
Someone mentioned they like the challenge, so at the risk of overdoing it, I'm again asking for your help.
Thanks
Brian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible 1933 Conwy Trip?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The bay in the back ground looks like the south beach at Llandudno.
The shadow of the building on the right looks like what was one the loading building for the gravel quarry, that building has gone, the quarry is still in use. The railway is still in use. At that time the mail train in the evening was  known as the Emerald Isle Express. London to Holyhead.
This place is between Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr, where the wall is, this is built up now and is the A55.
Maggsie

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
While my initial instinct was similar to Maggsie,I'm having second thoughts.The background seems too full/near for the view to be from Penmaenmawr,though the building does look like a stone crusher/conveyor or similar.The background certainly reminds me of Deganwy,but for that angle I think you might have to be nearer Conwy.Hmm...
I was hoping to identify it from what looks like a signal box behind the train.but again I can't find a view.

Regards
Roger

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
 I'm looking on Google now and trying to see a similar views taking into consideration the missing structures. I'm also trying to establish some sort of route that my mother took on the trip. I know they went to Hoylake, Parkgate, and Conwy Castle. It may not have been all the same day, although the clothing was the same in the Conwy Castle photo so I think this picture and the Conwy Castle photo were the same day.
  I also looked down at an area around Llandudno Station that looks similar. I realize it would be much more built up now, but proximity of RR tracks and the hills in the background look similar

Brian

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
The shadows suggest that the sun is behind the person taking the photo, therefore this is looking to the north, with the road and tracks going in that direction?

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
That is in line with Despair's idea of Deganwy. I looked along there on Google Earth and the background seems to be in keeping and the location and direction of the tracks, at least in some parts. I've never been there in person though

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
I think Despair could be right with Deganwy.  Have a look at this 1908 Francis Frith photo, the hills on the horizon match up.  There is a large hill with a small one right next to it, then going to the right are two wider lower hills that appear to be the same in both photos.

https://www.francisfrith.com/conwy/conwy-camp-and-deganwy-1908_60746
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
My immediate thought was Deganwy.
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
That's a really good find,Jool.I was beginning to doubt,but you may have convinced me!The clincher
would be to identify the "industrial" looking structure.

Regards
Roger