Author Topic: Percy Robert Edwards  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Robert Edwards
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 17 06:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Glenclare, what is the source for that 1936 Immigration record? 

Hi Lu, what is the link to say that Percy Robert Clapp EDWARDS who died 1945 is the same man (Glenclare's) in the NZ Army?  (sorry if missed the link - I'm trying to get it all straight in my head  :)

Hi AMBLY   

... 1936 Immigration record ... probably now covered by my later post about the "Ruahine" to Wellington arriving June 1936. ?

... see my post # 3 - gives same date and place of death for the soldier Percy Robert EDWARDS and Percy Robert Clapp EDWARDS as per death notice.   ;D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 17 06:48 BST (UK) »
My curiosity lies in the marriage:
Percy Robert EDWARDS to Mary Helen Craig CRADOCK

And the departure from NZ of F C C EDWARDS (listed on the UK leg as Mrs F C)

Lots of C's  ;D

Just saw your 1936 immigration post Lu, hah, very curious indeed!

Cheers
AMBLY

... yes had just been about to mention "the "C" initials.   ;D

Have found the daughter > will add details shortly > and she appears to have resided in Christchurch after marrying.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 17 06:51 BST (UK) »
Mrs EDWARDS (wife of Percy Robert) :

This is possibly her death ???

1964 - EDWARDS - Florence Craig - aged 64 Years

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
... and just confirming that the death of aforementioned "Florence Craig EDWARDS - 1964" was registered at Christchurch.

Can't immediately see a cemetery record for her (or for a Percy Robert) ??  {Maybe cremations ? }

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
Funeral notice for Percy Robert Clapp EDWARDS - June 1945 :

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19450621.2.69.8

So, yes. cremation.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
... oops ... APOLOGIES ... ;D

Admit to not having read right the way through the link to your Australian board thread, glenclare .. and I see now that you (and others) had already made some discoveries re: passenger lists / a New Zealand marriage / etc. etc. ... which I had (wildly) gone ahead and repeated on the NZ thread.  ::)

Never mind, it does throw up the oddity of the NZ Immigration Dept. list of persons who arrived in Wellington, NZ from UK per the ship "Ruahine" in June 1936 ... and what was written on the actual passenger list for that same voyage in respect of a family named EDWARDS, and specifically, the forenames and ages of the two females accompanying Percy   ???

Further ... there is the question of Mary versus Florence EDWARDS / and a death at Christchurch in 1964 of a "Florence Craig EDWARDS" who may well be the woman also known as Mary Craig (CRADOCK) EDWARDS???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 October 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
This is the death of the probable daughter of Percy Robert EDWARDS and Mary Helen Craig EDWARDS.

2001 - SMITH - Pearl Geraldine - date of birth = 15 July 1927
[I am not yet able to find where this death occurred. ]

[Info. sources :   Pearl Geraldine EDWARDS marriage to ------- SMITH - Year:  ------
Sorry, but the NZ BDM rules preclude posting info from marriage indexes after "today's date" 1937" ... I will however send this to you via PM. 
A Pearl Geraldine SMITH, together at times with her husband, resided in Christchurch up until 1981 (limit of online NZ electoral rolls) at a location in Christchurch which was in close proximity to the address of Mary Helen Craig EDWARDS. ]

~  Lu

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 October 17 08:35 BST (UK) »
What incredible information to wake up to.

Thank you so much Lu and Ambly.  :)
I have been trying to make sense of the very limited information I had for years and always became more confused!

The Clapp in the name suddenly appeared! He was not given it at birth, unlike a couple of his siblings and didn’t have it on most records as you found. Clapp was his grandmothers maiden name. His father had it as a Christian name.  It seems to have been a family tradition certainly since about 1820, to use grandmothers surnames as Christian names even continuing as recently as the generation after Percy. Future family historians will be even more confused as recent generations on different branches, have taken these Christian names and used them as double barrelled surnames ???

That family search record for the Ruahine departure is ? ? When compared with the other record.

So Florence is Mary Helen and Pearl is Margaret and then not?

Thank you. I am going to need a while, and a large coffee, to read and fully understand all the information

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
So Florence is Mary Helen and Pearl is Margaret and then not?

The name ' Margaret' means 'Pearl' - see here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret

This was explained to me years ago by a Margaret whose father always called her Pearly.  Funny how these little things stick in your mind :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch