Author Topic: HASSA-Family in New Jersey  (Read 980 times)

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HASSA-Family in New Jersey
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
Wondering where and when Marie HASSA, nee Hassa *1900 in Moravia died. She was the wife of Franz (Frank) HASSA *1898 in Moravia and +1964 where? in New Jersey.
Their so far last known address in 1930 was: 643 VanBessler Place, Ward 2, West NewYork, Hudson, NJ.

Immigration info on Marie HASSA: 03.12.1921 from Bremen on SS George Washington.
Immigration info on Franz (Frank) HASSA: 06.10.1902 from Antwerp on SS Vaderland.

Frank and Marie were cousins and I'd also love to know where and when they got married if possible.

Thanks in advance for any kind help.
Rgds,
Giselap

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HASSA-Family in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 04:18 BST (UK) »
It appears Marie died 23 March 1961 in North Bergen, NJ.

Obit preview snippets: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kx6/

=====

Frank obit preview snippets: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kx7/

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kind help.

However, have one more question:
What kind of additional membership do I need to be able to make use of the links you posted?

Due to ungood experiences with submitting my (German) phone number to anyone I'd prefer to rather keep it private.  ??? 

Any suggestions?

Thanks again and rgds from Good Old Germany,
Giselap

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Genealogy Bank has a free 7 day trial - https://www.genealogybank.com/  I've never had a subscription with them, but I don't remember hearing anything bad about them. 

I guess the key with those free trials is that you have to make sure to let them know that you don't want to continue before they charge your credit card.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
For most of these pay sites that give a preview snippet, once you narrow down the newspaper and date of the article you can play around with the search criteria and get to see  most or all of whats in the article through a series of preview snippets.

I was able to piece together through snippets the full obit/death notices for both.

It appears from Frank's obit that Marie's maiden name was "Steiner".

============================

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New jersey
Friday, March 24, 1961

Mrs. Frank Hassa

Mrs. Frank Hassa, 61, wife of Frank Hassa of 314 72nd St., North Bergen died yesterday in her home. She was a native of Austria who had resided many years in this country and was a communicant of St. Joseph's Church of Palisades, West New York.

The funeral will be Monday from the William Schlemm Funeral Home, Jersey City, is in charge of arrangements.

=======================

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New jersey
Wednesday, July 8, 1964

Frank J. Hassa

The funeral of Frank J Hassa, 65, a machinist will be tomorrow from the Schlemm Funeral in Union City. Mr. Hassa of 424 58th St., West New York, was the widower of Marie Steiner. He was born in Austria.

He died Monday at the Ivy Haven Nursing Home in Newark.

=================

The 1930 census states she was married at age 23 and he at age 24, meaning the marriage year was about 1923.

1930 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4XH-2MN

It appears they were married 20 May, 1923 in New Jersey according to the NJ marriage index.

They are on page 733. This is the brides index so look for Steiner, Marie. The husband's initials listed  are FH (Frank Hassa)

Marriage Index: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kxc

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Found more complete obits for both. Not sure if daughters are living? Hint: Tufano younger of the two.

===

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New jersey
Wednesday, July 8, 1964

HASSA-- On July 6, 1964, Frank J., of 434 58th Street, West New York; beloved husband of the late Marie (nee Steiner): devoted father of Mrs. xxx Wilson and xxx Tufano: dear brother of Stephen Hassa, George Hassa and Mrs Frieda Weiss; also survived by three grandchildren. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from WILLIAM SCHLEMM Inc Funeral Home 22nd Street and Kennedy Boulevard.

===================

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New jersey
Monday, March 27, 1961

HASSA-- On March 23, 1961. Marie (nee Steiner) of 314 72 Street, North Bergen, New Jersey; beloved wife of Frank; devoted mother of Mrs. xxx Wilson and Mrs. xxx Tufano; also survived by three grandchildren. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from WILLIAM SCHLEMM Inc Funeral Home, Boulevard and 22nd Street, Union City, Monday March 27, 1961 at 9:15 a.m., thence to St. Joseph of the Pallsades Roman Catholic Church at 10 o'clock where requiem mass will be offered for a happy repose of her soul. Interment at Madonna Cemetery, Fort Lee

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you shellyesq for your comment on Genealogy Bank.

And a my very biggest thank you to RJ137.  :D
Around the mid 1950ties we seem to have lost track of those members of our family who had emigrated to the USA in the early 1900s and were never really able to retrace most of them.
As a matter of fact before starting research due to my interest in genealogy, I didn't even know that so many of our family and friends emigrated to the USA.

However, it proved nearly impossible to pick up old family connections after almost a 100 years' time.  :(
Thus, I'm more than glad and thankful whenever at least finding out what became of "our" emigrants.

By the way Marie's maiden name actually was HASSA, her parents never got married because her father Friedrich STEINER committed suicide while her mother Matilda HASSA was already pregnant with her. Matilda Hassa never got married and died in Moravia before Marie's emigration.
Wonder why Marie should have "changed" her maiden name. ???

Anyway, thank you ever so much again RJ137 for all your help.

Rgds,
Giselap

Offline giselap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HASSA-Family in NJ - more help needed
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
Now looking for Franz (Frank) J HASSA's further family:

Grandfather Stefan HASSA *1847 in Moravia.

Immigration 13.10.1908 from Antwerp on SS Zeeland.
1. place of residence: 514 Elm St, West Hoboken, NJ, living at his son's Stefan (Stephan/Stephen) HASSA home!!

His son Stefan (Stephan/Stephen) HASSA *1874 in Moravia (Frank's father) immigrated 06.10.1902 from Antwerp on SS Vaderland, last known residence (1920/30): 721 Walnut St, West Hoboken, Hudson, NJ.

Was Frank's grandfather a widower on arrival? Where and when did he die?
Where and when did Frank's father and mother Aloisia (Louisa/Louise) BREER *1876 in Moravia die?

Any kind help will again be highly appreciated.
Thanks and rgds,
Giselap