Author Topic: Any experience with Baptist ancestors?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any experience with Baptist ancestors?
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have continued to make small breakthroughs with my HOLT family from Buckinghamshire in the 17th and 18th centuries. It now looks as if there is enough evidence to conclude that they were baptists. I had a search for the name HOLT carried out in the BucksFHS wills database. This led me to a possible family member in Wing (Samuel HOLT) that was son in law of William Nutkins, a baptist preacher. The family I know that were connected to me (Robert HOLT of Haddenham will dated 1741 - cousin of my direct line ancestor William Holt of Crowell m.1705 in Radnage, of Longwick, Blacksmith) turn up in a will of Henry Goss, (a mention in will - have not yet looked at original) but Goss was also a Baptist and Simon Holt, father of Robert is mentioned in the will. Simon Holt's wife was Ann Hickman of Cuddington, a Robert Hickman (whom I belive to be her brother) is mentioned in the Episcopal Visitation Book, 1662 as an 'anabaptist'.

I belive the reason why my HOLT ancestors are mostly missing for the CofE parish records (baptisms and marriages) is because they were baptist. There was a congregation in Ford, (a hamlet in Dinton) that served the local area including Cuddington. Their records start in 1688 and were published in 1912. I have located and purchased a copy of this book to see of it holds any more information.

For now I have seemed to determine, that my line is as follows with some element of guess work:

MY DIRECT LINE LINKS TO WILLIAM HOLT OF LONGWICK:

Simon Holt of Westlington in Dinton (also connected to Winslow) d.1709 (maybe born c.1625? a total guess based on possible generations) - son Simon Holt d.1740 (maybe born c.1650 - again a guess) - this relationship is based on the name in common.

Simon Holt d.1740 of Weslington/Cuddington has a son called Robert Holt d.1741 b.1678. I believe Simon's brother was William Holt of Longwick born c.1647 (from age at death) and d.1735.

William Holt born c.1647 has a son William Holt born c.1678 (baptised in Princes Risborough) who married in Radnage in 1705 and moved to Crowell. Simon Jnr., William Jnr. and Simon Snr. were all blacksmiths.

THE FAMILY SEEM TO BE CONNECTED TO:

William Holt of Dinton (also connected to Winslow) born c.1715-20 married first to Winnifred Hunt (widow of Francis Hunt - Clement Hunt of Dinton was also baptist) - his son was Ephraim Holt. I am assuming that William was brother of Simon. Ephraim entered into indemnity when William Holt Snr of Longwick moved into the parish of Princes Risborough - maybe his cousin?

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with where to look for records of baptist ancestors I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Thank you.

Richard

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Any experience with Baptist ancestors?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
Just Google "My ancestors were Baptists"
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)