Author Topic: Marlesford - marriage of George Mallett to Sarah Woodward 1822  (Read 1318 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marlesford - marriage of George Mallett to Sarah Woodward 1822
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have found a marriage for the above couple on two (2) separate dates and in different counties;
2-10-1822 Norwich, Norf.   and
3-10-1822 Marlesford, Suffolk
I suspect the first date is of a possible licence - no proof.

Can someone kindly confirm, or otherwise,  the Marlesford marriage please?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marlesford - marriage of George Mallett to Sarah Woodward 1822
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
I have found several entries for the marriage. One entry for the Norwich marriage gives his parents as William Mollett and Elizabeth Minchman Mollett and her parents as Robert Woodard and Elizabeth Levett Woodard. I presume the Minchman and Levett are possibly maiden names.

The Suffolk Marriage Index which has the marriage in Marlesford gives the groom's parish as Woodbridge.

It is possible that if the couple came from two different parishes then Banns would be read in both Parishes and somewhere along the way it has been presumed that if the Banns were read in the church then the marriage took place there, if you see what I mean. Unfortunately without looking at the Parish registers it would seem impossible to decide exactly which church the marriage took place in.

Sorry, not very helpful!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Baptisms

George Mollett 1799 Norwich parents William Glazier Mollett and Elizabeth Richman

Sally Woodard 1802 Norwich parents Robert Woodard and Elizabeth Levett Woodard

If you Google Marlesford and click on the map it says Marlesford, Woodbridge. If George was living there (and the Sussex Marriage Index says he was) then it's likely that the Banns were read in the parish Church but the actual marriage took place in Norwich.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is the Marriage Bond from the Diocese of Norwich Consistory Court 1822 (Images 157-160 of 1137)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kxf/

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, Yokel & Emoltom.

Then I was correct in my wild guess that the marriage was by licence. George coming from Woodbridge and Sarah Woodard or Woodward from Tunstall and marrying in Marlesford.
Are the names  Sarah & Sally interchangeable? - on the 2nd sheet of the licence the extract for the bapt. refers to "Sally"

The licence attachments are also quite revealing, giving George's bapt. and parents as William Mallet "Glazier" -  I presume that was his occupation or a mother's maiden name, and Elizabeth late Michman or Richman

Your help is most appreciated.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk