Author Topic: Steventon PRs 1596  (Read 1285 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Steventon PRs 1596
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
I'm not asking for a look-up as such because transcripts in different places are quite variable, so I think the register's nigh-on illegible.  But I would be interested to know if the PR for this parish and year is written in chronological order, with CMBs all mixed up, or if they are separated out into sections.

This stems from a 1596 bap and burial.  IGI has bap on 16 Sep.  OXF-AB03 has the same bap on 21 Sep and a bur on 18 Sep.  Surname DEARING or DEERING.  Did the bap predate the burial or vice versa?

Jane :-)

ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Steventon PRs 1596
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane :)

As you probably already know, Steventon is now in Oxfordshire but was in Berkshire until the county boundary changes in 1974.  The PRs for 'old Berkshire' parishes are still held at the Berkshire Record Office and there are no plans to digitise them, so transcripts are all you'll have unless you can visit Reading (or persuade a Berks RootsChatter to go on your behalf?).

For historic reasons, the BTs are held at Chippenham but they're incomplete for this parish and don't cover the date you want, according to the list I'm looking at.  It might be worth checking with them though.

In any event, it's safe to say that dead people cannot be baptised so any transcript that suggests such a thing must be wrong!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
Jane -

I'm not asking for a look-up as such because transcripts in different places are quite variable, so I think the register's nigh-on illegible.  But I would be interested to know if the PR for this parish and year is written in chronological order, with CMBs all mixed up, or if they are separated out into sections.

This stems from a 1596 bap and burial.  IGI has bap on 16 Sep.  OXF-AB03 has the same bap on 21 Sep and a bur on 18 Sep.  Surname DEARING or DEERING.  Did the bap predate the burial or vice versa?

The Oxfordshire History Centre holds film of the Steventon registers for that period.  Oxfordshire Family History Society has volunteers who man a helpdesk there on a Tuesday and a Thursday - I'll ask this week's advisors to research this if they have a free period between clients.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 October 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Iffley.  I should have updated this post yesterday because in light of what Carol said I repeated the post on the BRK board.  However as the only reply I have there is giving details of yet another transcript, sight of the PR is still very much desired.  If the OFHS volunteers do have a free few minutes in the next few weeks it would be sooooo appreciated

Jane  :)
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline ElizabethMills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
OFHS volunteers Alex and I have researched William Dearing/Deering son of Richard Dearing in Steventon for you.  We have found a baptism on 16 Sept 1596 on Family Search and the Berkshire baptisms on Find My Past

We have noted the baptism on the OFHS AB03 transcript and believe that this was erroneously transcribed as 21 Sept 1596

We have noted on the transcript the burial for William Deering on 18 Sept 1596 but we have been unable to find this on either Family Search or Find My Past

On visiting the OHC search room to check with the Steventon microfilm, film number 146, we find that this is the only one which is "currently unavailable".  No doubt it will be returned in due course, so we will look again next time we are on duty, i.e.  14 November.

Best wishes
Elizabeth and Alex
OFHS volunteers

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for keeping me informed  :)

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Jane -
Elizabeth & Alex wrote:

On visiting the OHC search room to check with the Steventon microfilm, film number 146, we find that this is the only one which is "currently unavailable".  No doubt it will be returned in due course, so we will look again next time we are on duty, i.e.  14 November.

Best wishes
Elizabeth and Alex
OFHS volunteers

A few days later, volunteers Paul & Philippa were the Oxfordshire FHS advisors at Oxfordshire History Centre. 

They reported:

We had a look at microfilm Reel 147 from Berkshire which contains the early Steventon PRs.

The answer to the question raised is that the CMBs are in separate sections, in fact each section is even neatly labelled.

As to the specific items on William Dearing (son of Richard) we would say that the baptism was on 16 September 1596 and the burial on 18th September 1596.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will put in hand a correction to the OFHS CD.

Wendy
OFHS helpdesk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Steventon PRs 1596 *COMPLETED"
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wendy and please thank Paul and Philippa for me too.  Although we'll never know for certain, with the burial coming after the bap I think it's highly likely that it was the infant rather than an adult who died.  Two days old is a bit young to be fathering children - I can cross him off my list of direct ancestors!

Best wishes
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S