Author Topic: Isaac Cliff(e), Bradley, born 1807  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Cliff(e), Bradley, born 1807
« on: Saturday 21 October 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
I think Isaac is an ancestor. He gives his place of birth in census information as Bradley, which I presume is the Bradley nr Keighley. What registration district is Bradley in (or would it have been in if such a thing had existed in 1807)? There is another contender, an Isaac Cliff who was born in Huddersfield. I am presuming that a birth in Bradley would be associated with Bradford rather than Huddersfield.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Cliff(e), Bradley, born 1807
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
The Isaac Cliff born Huddersfield was the son of Joshua and Sarah of Colne Bridge, Kirk Heaton. He was baptised at the Weslyan Methodist Chapel in Huddersfield.

The Isaac Cliff born Bradford 1807 and baptised 1808 had a father illiam. Abode  given as Lower Horton.

Can't find an Isaac born Bradley.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
He's on the 1851 census with the whole family but, just to confuse things, the census enumerator or the person transcribing the record has listed the family as Clipp not Cliff(e)

I initially thought the Huddersfield Isaac was mine but now I'm unsure. My Isaac was definitely born in Bradley and I can't see that being recorded as a Huddersfield birth.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
this really is confusing
from parish records marriage
Huddersfield 18 July 1836
Isaac Cliffe of Bradley in this Parish
m Sarah Cliffe of Bradley aforesaid
witnesses benjm Fitchcliffe? & Francis Sangley (or could be Langley

a Cliffe marrying a Cliffe

then there are these baptisms
Huddersfield
Isaac Cliff born 14 April 1807
baptised 7 Dec 1807
father Isaac Cliff

I am assuming your Isaac was the one 0cc Waterman  married to Hannah in Holbeck in 1841

more baptisms to follow

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Have you got a link to that parish record because I haven't seen that one. Cliffe marrying Cliffe!!??? Might explain my webbed toes and maniacal laugh. I have to assume that it is coincidence or they are cousins sufficiently separated so as not cause any issues about consanguinity.

So, Huddersfield wedding and Isaac described as being of "Bradley, in this parish". Is there another, Huddersfield, Bradley other than the one near Keighley? Surely that, Keighley, Bradley can't be in the Huddersfield parish, it's miles away.

I think that Isaac, son of Isaac, sadly died in 1822 at the age of 15.

Keep digging, I'm always intrigued by, and grateful for, how effective Rootschat contributors are in finding stuff.

Yes, Isaac was married to Hannah(Bray)(so where does Sarah, above, fit in?). They may appear as Clipp rather than Cliff. Cliffe is frequently found without the  "e" which search engines should take account of but don't so it's safest to search on both spellings

PS Just done a search on Bradley, Huddersfield and discovered it is, indeed, in that parish and is quite different from the Keighley Bradley. It's absolutely "Ground Zero" for my lot. Makes the Huddersfield records more credible.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:16 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB, that confirms it.

I have an 1828 wedding between Isaac Cliffe and Hannah Bray and I have no real doubt that is correct. That was at Leeds, St Peter. Don't know where the other, Huddersfield, Cliffe/Cliffe wedding between Isaac and Sarah fits in

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
Looking at the maps which BumbleB gave the link to, I see that Colne Bridge is only just "over the road" from Bradley. The Isaac baptised at the Weslyan Methodist Chapel in Huddersfield had the abode Colne Bridge although the image did also say Kirk Heaton.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 October 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Just Checked and Bradley is 3 miles north of Huddersfield whilst Colne Bridge is 4 miles northeast.

I think your Issac is the nonconformist baptism in Huddersfield, parents Joshua and Sarah.

Emeltom